Stevens Gray Ghost

eunanhendron

eunanhendron

Believe it or not this is only the second time i've tied the Stevens Gray Ghost.
This one includes the recently discovered white hackle throat.

New one is the first one, previous attempt is the second one - which was done in May this year

Eunan

Gray%2520Ghost%2520%25231%25208xl%2520-%25202.jpg

2012-05-20_13-14-04_722.jpg

Have you read the book about Carrie Stevens? It's a wonderful read. She really hand tied her flies, held them in her hand as she was tying. Thanks for posting the fly. It's beautiful and a favorite of mine.

I have the book.
I'm going to be tying a few more stevens patterns soon. I think the Golden Witch will be next, plus a couple of variants i have in mind.

THanks for the comment.

Hey, thanks a lot. I'm googling up carrie Stevens to look at that book as my wife walks by asking what im up to. Before I could answer, up comes Carrie Stevens, playmate of the month June, 1997.

Ha ha that's funny....At least for us. ;-)

lol

JohnPowers wrote:
Hey, thanks a lot. I'm googling up carrie Stevens to look at that book as my wife walks by asking what im up to. Before I could answer, up comes Carrie Stevens, playmate of the month June, 1997.

I've run into the same thing myself while I was looking for Carrie Stevens patterns online. The flies and Miss june '97 both look good to me. The book in question is by Graydon and Leslie Hilyard. Its a tremendous book. Not a step by step or how-to book, but more of a history book. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Just be carefull when googling ****s sporting goods. :-o

Those are nice patterns that have the long and lean baitfish profile. Often people bulk up Stevens' streamers to show off all the cool materials. Nice work.

I didn't know she was a pin-up, but she is over 100.:)

That's not a new book and still $37.50 is the cheapest. Looks like I'll have to sell In The Ring Of The Rise first. At dawn one early fall day in the campground at the drc I had 11 smashes in a gray ghost......won't say how many I caught. Wasn't the flys fault. It's a truly exquisite pattern. Must be near the record for the number of materials in one fly. Kinda like the henryville special in that regard.

Try this one for materials in one fly. I'll bring it to the tying Jam if anyone wants to see it.

Hook: Partridge CS15 #2
Thread: 6/0 white
Tag: Flat silver tinsel
Rear Collar: Yellow hackle wrapped (yellow macaw used here)
Butt: Black ostrich herl
Body: 2 equal sections of black and yellow floss
Rib: Flat silver tinsel
Collar: Black hackle
Belly: White bucktail and a golden pheasant crest sweeping upwards
Wing: Yellow hackle flanked by red flanked by blue hackle flanked by a slip of bustard
Topping: Peacock herl and golden pheasant crest
Throat: Teal
Cheek: Kingfisher ( I subbed KF for blue peacock breast)
Eye: Jungle ****
Horns: Macaw
Head: Black

Jock%2520Scott%2520Streamer.jpg

Did this one on a 12x long blued light wire hook.

Attachments

• 2-25-2011 117.jpg
    2-25-2011 117.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 5
Back