Steelhead Season - coming to an end

Bruno

Bruno

I have been running to Erie for almost 20 years now and the last few have left me wondering why I do it. This year has been a turn around year. I have seen and caught more fish this year than I have in the last 3 or 4 years. Not one skunking this year.

Interested in your opinions - do you think it was better this year than the last few.

I will also say the average fish I caught has been bigger as well but I think that is just me :)

Casey's first Steel
y3mE2wxaukx00e8Wk2itkw6Iz2BaTZzZ3ncIR4BZAat26WhCyUUp0NNutwYRywELQ6gmFIvctPTDtAuzhOuV8Vu-WmZ2UqcYQCs0Y52STbsNiLJ7Xm7rasBlJ4guio6pJAT21kaqbR2gjJy5S4c7rY5VsRxN7VJu5b05UayWVcJXL8

While I agree I never took the skunk and this years was a little better overall still below average. I see bad things in the future for ALL the great lakes Salmon and Steelhead fisheries.

Didn't fish much, but on scouting trips, I did see more pinks and browns than I ever had at Trout Run.

Come to think of it, I never saw Pinks before last year.

Good thread.

I too am interested in hearing your reports.
FD says he saw more browns. Did you see more BTs in the Erie tribs this year?

Dave_W wrote:
Good thread.

I too am interested in hearing your reports.
FD says he saw more browns. Did you see more BTs in the Erie tribs this year?

That was just at Trout Run. On one early scouting trip there were 5 or 6 humpies in there, and a few browns.

I only fished once for steelhead last fall (Steelhead jam) and saw no salmon or browns.

Very good suggestion though. I'd like to hear other reports on the Browns.

Stocking pinks doesn't make sense to me. ?
Browns, didn't Pa. get browns from New York to stock? I miss the fall fishing, maybe this fall? GG
Is that the same young man that got the Atlantic? Good way to start a lifetime chase!

gulfgreyhound wrote:
Stocking pinks doesn't make sense to me. ?
Browns, didn't Pa. get browns from New York to stock? I miss the fall fishing, maybe this fall? GG
Is that the same young man that got the Atlantic? Good way to start a lifetime chase!

Officially, they are NOT stocking Pinks. My understanding is that there has been a small, but reproducing population in the great lakes since the 1950s.

That is their story and they are sticking with it. ;-)

I've heard stories of them over the years, but that was the first I actually saw.

It could mean their spawning environment is improving.

albatross wrote:
Casey's first Steel

Hemingway and son. Great pic.

I don't think I fished for steelhead once this entire winter. A non-sleeping one year old will do that to you. My waders and gear have been packed in my trunk since October. I'll get em next year, God willing.

I had a pretty good season last fall. 25 or so hookups over five total days so not to bad for my first season Steelheading. Although I have to say, I'm already done with those crowds. Even upper Elk has way more guys than I can enjoy fishing around. I'll stick to finding one or two fish all day in the less productive Tribs over fishing shoulder to shoulder for twenty fish.

I spotted five Browns myself last Fall (not including ones in Trout Run). Had two on but lost both of them (one 4-5# and the other potentially a state record 15-20#+? fish). Thankfully an NY trip made up for that landing two hens at 12# and 14#.

As for the Pinks, my guess is they're wild from a trib with high recruitment (Cattaraugus, etc.) or a large school migrated from Lake Huron. They originated from hatchery broodstock on Lake Superior's north shore for a Hudson Bay stocking program and have since spread to all the lakes (although they aren't very established at all in Lake Ontario).

Back