Steelhead question

robkonowitch

robkonowitch

I am going to take my first steelhead trip early next month in NY. What size tippit and leader do I need? Also, what file and sizes?

scroll down 2 page thread on Erie steelhead

Here's a good article on gear and rigs for steelhead:

http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/tuesday-tip-great-lakes-steelheading/

Here's what I use:

Leader: 9' 3X Nylon
25# 2mm Tippet Ring
Tippet: 3-4' 4X Fluoro
First Fly: unweighted egg or other bright pattern
Dropper: 6-12" 4X or 5X Fluoro (I'd go 4X for NY Steelhead)
Second Fly: beadhead nymph or other natural pattern

Hope that helps.

Char_Master wrote:
Here's what I use:

Leader: 9' 3X Nylon
25# 2mm Tippet Ring
Tippet: 3-4' 4X Fluoro
First Fly: unweighted egg or other bright pattern
Dropper: 6-12" 4X or 5X Fluoro (I'd go 4X for NY Steelhead)
Second Fly: beadhead nymph or other natural pattern

Hope that helps.

Pretty much what I do except my bottom fly is almost always a bugger and I''ll change out the egg pattern for nymphs if need be. I start with a 7.5' leader instead of a 9' though because it is easier for me to work with.

A 10' 7wt rod is ideal. Any 7wt rod will work. If you are not going to Salmon River, then a 6wt will get you by. I would not recommend a 6 on the SR but it can be done. 8 wts are fine also but are overkill.

For a leader, I'd make it 3 sections, something like 17#, 12# 8#. You can use amnesia for butt section if you want and you'll be nymphing a lot. Amnesia to 15# to 12# to 8#. If flows are low maybe go down to 6#. I use maxima chameleon for butt section and maxima ultragreen for 12# and lighter.

For Flies, egg patterns and generic nymphs from size 10 down to 14 are fine. Fly selection or color really doesn't matter much in my experience. I'd recommend bead head everything and weighted nymphs. If you tie, I'd wrap some lead around the hook prior to tying egg patterns. When I fished egg patterns I did that. Maybe have some streamers or wooly buggers but this time of year i have found it next to impossible to get enough room to swing streamers at many of the popular spots.

Droppers are illegal in NY on GL tribs.

The most important thing when fishing the SR is to get to your spot prior to 5:00am and wait in the dark until you are allowed to fish. Getting there at 5:00 gives you probably an 80% chance to hold the spot you want. If you are catching fish, by 8:30 you'll be surrounded by Russians if you're not in a fly zone and you'll be crowded out. If you fish a fly zone, especially the lower one you might need to get there a bit earlier. You won't get crowded out by russians, but you will get crowded out by some of the many "Salmon River Pros". The good news is that these pros will be sharing all sorts of "pro tips". If you pay attention to these "tips" you'll have a great sense of what not to do LOL.

I know I'm being negative, but if its your first time you'll have fun and catch some fish.

Do a barrel swivel in your leader. Tie a piece of 8-15lb tippet on there and leave a few inches on the tag end. Tie an overhand knot on that tag and put your split shot there. If the split shot get snagged they will tear through the knot and you will keep your flies and leader.

Good advice. I use the setup the RyGuy suggested with the swivel and splitshot on the tag.

As Moon pointed out, you may only fish a single fly in NY on the great lakes tributaries. No dropper fly allowed.

I use trout beads then whatever fly you want. The rule in NY is only one hook. I like blk stoneflies.

what area of ny are you going to

I build my own leaders with maxima starting with 25lb or 20lb down to 15lb for the butt section. Then I use Seaguar STS Trout/Steelhead Fluorocarbon in 12lb, 10lb, and 8lb and maybe 6lb. I just did a steel head trip in Alaska. The smallest I went was 10lb fluro for my tippet. Never had any break off but one fish straightened out a hook! I'm sold on Seaguar fluoro! It's a bit too stiff, but it's strong.

Looks like you have a reason to write that story Jon! ;)

Story coming soon. I just have to work up enough patience to resize all my pics for the forum!!!

apparently, everytime i have fished pulaski,i have been illegal.

i had no idea you can't fish more than one fly on a GL trib.

i usually use a straight mono leader,about 20#test to a barrel swivel to mono spinning line as tippet.

i always used three flies off that in the past.guess i will have to change up!

That's a NY law to prevent snagging. You actually can't have weight so far from your hook in NY as well. In PA you can still use up to 3 hooks.

http://softmilkingegg.com/product-gallery.html

I use the see through/clear otter eggs and have had some luck with those. They look kind of realistic and are rubbery.

http://www.softmilkingegg.com/Embryo-egg.html

I've had very good results for steelhead on the Salmon River (DSR section) using a Montana Stonefly pattern a la Charles E. Brooks "Nymph Fishing for Larger Trout". I tie it on a size 6 4XL hook, weighted, dark colors, either all black or black with a bit of brown, light cream ribbing and grizzly+furnace hackle and a black bead. Also had success on bead head pheasant tail nymphs tied on a #6 caddis hook. I tie some with a caddis green bead head and chartrues green thorax; some with a gold bead and a clipped blue estaz thorax; and some just a regular BHPT tie. These too are weighted.

Only fished Tuesday and Wednesday. The rain was nuts on Thursday and the fish were not in yet.

Back