Steelhead in high surf

S

Sylvaneous

Whenever I fished in the lake at the mouths, the few times I did it, it was in pretty calm conditions because the weather
was dry and calm and the creeks were low. I don't remember what I was told before, but is fishing for steelhead in the lake at the mouths any good when the waves are up, as they are now? thanks

My limited experience is that it is quite the chore with heavy waves. I think most shore anglers prefer wind from the south or southeast, which suppresses waves.

i'd treat it like saltwater - fast action 9ft 9weight, clear intermediate line.

keep you eye out for fish, bait, birds. look for pockets, seams and structure.

if fishing the outflow, cast at 45 degrees and swing the fly. cast and step along the shore.

if fishing the lake shore, cast straight out and try different strips.

Yeah, putting your line through all those waves may be prohibitive. The fish like these times to move up into the creeks, though. I was going to use spin tackle with spoons. No way would I try to fly fish it.

Syl

Going back to my spin fishing days, I used to cast little cleo spoons from the shore. The best time for that seemed to be when the lake had a slight chop to it, and was a little murky in color,
Absolutely flat, very clear water wasn't very good - as the fish seemed to be kinda skittish then.
But high, crashing waves are pretty tough. The water is usually very milky colored then, with lots of sand stirred up too. I have seen a few fish caught under those conditions. It's not much fun though, IMO

Not worth it because of the muddied up shorline and debris.
You want waves two feet or less.
One foot rollers is best.

dano wrote:
Not worth it because of the muddied up shorline and debris.
You want waves two feet or less.
One foot rollers is best.

And with the forecast calling for NW winds of 20 to 30 mph, there will be big rollers crashing on the beach.

Gee, even windy here, 60 miles south, just as I type this. Big gust just kicked up.

East should be OK, but the west sides will be blown. So everyone will be in the Mile streams. Maybe i'll stay home and nurse my cold.

syl

Elk is fishing but it's crowded.

But everyone wants to know if they are to Route 5 yet.

Back