Steelhead Help

ConMan

ConMan

I used to chase Steel in Erie for years every fall. About 10 years ago I stopped regular visits because of a number of factors, the usual crowd issues and such. I moved to Chicago and really wanted to get away from people and started fishing the ANF for fall trout and solitude, which was great.

But I'm gong to come back for steel at least once this year and ideally twice. Like I said, it's been years. I was a "noodle" fisherman before but will now be using a fly rod. I have a 9.5 ft. 7 wt. Avid and need a reel to pair up with it. I could use some advice/recommendations/suggestions on a real to pair up with it. I don't want to drop 300 on a reel but could spend $300 total on the reel, line, backing (but would like to do less).

Any suggestions are appreciated guys. I'm looking at the large arbor Orvis for the 7-9 wt, so I can upgrade rod wt. for Michigan Steel and Browns in the spring.

Cheers,
Mike.

Will ya just buy that dang Orvis Reel and be done with it so we can chase some Steelies ConMan :lol: That'd make a fine addition to the reel seat on your Avid and give you options for the Michigan Steelies and Salmon. Maybe a bit more than what you'd ideally like to spend but I know you've had your eye on it for a while.

If you want something that fits the 7-9 range on the cheap, check out the Loomis Venture reel from CaBEEla's. I think it's JayL that has one, but I know whoever has it swears by it.

I have been looking at for a long while, mate! I just research things to death. Ask my wife!!

The Lamson Radius RL RLR35 for 7-9 weight will do the job for about $125 on clearance. Great drag on these reels. Leaves you enough money to put a sharkskin line on it if you like...

http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShopping/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=RLR

Ha-

Those dudes at the Madison River Fishing Company.......

Guess where they are from??? Fish bums.

Pittsburgh PA hehehehehe

Thanks for the link Albatros. Looks like a small arbor reel. I'm not sure that would work should I decide to fish larger water in MI with a 9 wt.

The Radius is a mid-arbor.

The Lamson Velocity V3.5 discontinued model is the reel you really want with the large arbor, but I couldn't find any really cheap with a quick look online. I got one for myself this summer for $140 and I love it.

I did end up picking up that Velocity 3.5. Got it preloaded with line for $200, which is less than I would have spent on the Orvis reel after tax and shipping. If I don't like the line on it I can always pitch it and consider a $200 investment on the reel a good one. Plus I think it would be ideal for larger water and a 9 wt.

Thanks!

You won't be disappointed. I caught 2 salmon on that reel two weeks ago and the reel was a joy to use. These beasts took me into my backing with 1X!

Let me know if you find spare spools cheap anywhere, I'm getting tired already of trading off between my 7 and 9 weight lines.

Albie you could just be like me and purchase more of them. At this point I now have a 3, 3.5 and a 4.0. It's a sickness really.

Got slammin deals on them all though. :)

albatross wrote:
You won't be disappointed. I caught 2 salmon on that reel two weeks ago and the reel was a joy to use. These beasts took me into my backing with 1X!

Let me know if you find spare spools cheap anywhere, I'm getting tired already of trading off between my 7 and 9 weight lines.

I'm already on the hunt! I need the spare spool for 9 wt. line!

I do agree it is a sickness.

Student,

Remember the 9-weight rod I ordered on E-Bay that never showed up? It showed up a week after my salmon trip. I'm thinking of maybe using it at the steelhead jam just to cast it.

Ouch that sucks. Maybe we'll just have to arrange a trip east to the salt for some serious test casting. I've been itching to do so. Tis the season also.

Check your mail Albie.

Back