Stealth fishing

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Great tips from Bruce at Penns Creek Angler on how to fish small dries and midges in the winter >

"Penn's Creek Angler Fly Shop Weikert Pa an Orvis Dealer. Six flies a new leader, spool of tippet and you should be able to catch trout for a while on top.
Now that the bigger flies of summer are gone the dry fly fishing gets much easier. We will be casting #16-22 size flies until Mid-March.
The advice I'd give anyone fishing this time of year with dry flies is stealth and patience.
Today, I'd sneak down to a sunny spot mid pool by the creeks edge and sit down and enjoy the warm sun. Perhaps you've already stopped 40 feet from the creek and saw some fish rising near the spot you'll sit.
While sitting there, my rod would be ready to cast with minimal disturbance.
Standing up big and tall would surely push the trout away from the slow edge of the creek where they really want to hold.
If you've put some thought into where you've chosen to sit you'll be able to make a few casts without standing up. A roll cast will work just fine because the trout will be holding close by in the slow water.
After watching a few trout rise make a cast. If the trout doesn't eat the fly stop everything and wait for that trout to rise a few times and try again.
Upstream dead drift casts will be needed.
If you're unsuccessful at your location. Look upstream and try to pick another spot where fish are rising near the edge. Relocate with stealth and sit and watch keeping in mind what I've already said.
As a last resort, pick another smart location and get in the water. Hopefully it will be a place you can kneel and make a longer upstream overhead cast. Be patient with the trout, don't cast five times to the same trout, don't cast to every rise you see. Take your time, change flies and be patient.
If you stand up, surly you'll put 50% of the trout in the pool down and after a few casts 75% will vanish.
As a last resort, stand but stay low. Now you'll have to make a long cast to trout that know you are there. After Standing, I let the trout I'm working rise a bunch of times then I make a good cast.
This scenario will play out many times today on Penn's Creek.
Get out and enjoy the sunshine! Mid day mid pool fishing has been excellent.
Make your first presentation your best!
All the best!"

Attachments

• 1699195627226.png
    1699195627226.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 33
Back