Stealhead flies

marcq

marcq

It's gonna be my first year going up to erie looking for some patters I should have tied up before I get there. Probably heading up in November.

Marc

My go-to steelhead flies are:
- sucker spawn (cream, pink, yellow, blue) sizes 12-18
- Crystal meth (chartreuse, pink, white) sizes 12-16 - both with & without a beadhead
- Pheasant-tail nymphs size 12-18
- hares ear nymph size 12-18
- Emerald shiner streamer pattern size 6
- Wooly buggers - black, white, olive
- Glo-bugs

I have a variety of other streamers & some scattered nymph patterns that I use too. But that list above is probably what I catch the majority of my fish on. I hope you have a great trip, it's addictive!

Marcq, the Steelhead Jam is November 8 - 10. There's a thread in the events and meetup section. There should be a good group of people from the forum up for the event.

Are the hooks normal wire or heavy duty hooks? My friend goes to school and is 15 minutes away from elk so I think I'll be making a few trips

I will add to the convo. I like rubber legs for all my nymphs. Mainly generic hares ears, prince nymphs and stoneflies. Eggs are always good. Orange usually rocks, but ive done well on the paler colors like cream and peach. I usually dont start spazzing out about patterns unless somebody is smashing them just above or below me. I have friends that do well on gaudy streamers.

I usually go with a heavier gauge hook. I have a fly box thats dedicated to steelhead flies. I usually tie everything on mustad signature hooks, but for chrome I go with the higher end brands like daichii/TMC. Ive brought them in on 18-20 scud hooks, and the hook never straightened. You also have to keep in mind that if you are fishing a size 18 hook, that you are pairing it with 5x tippet. The water does get low and clear up there at times. Those can be the times that try men's souls, but its also a time for fly guys to flourish--you can go smaller, lighter, and more natural than your spin counterpart.

elonDO wrote:
My go-to steelhead flies are:
- sucker spawn (cream, pink, yellow, blue) sizes 12-18
- Crystal meth (chartreuse, pink, white) sizes 12-16 - both with & without a beadhead
- Pheasant-tail nymphs size 12-18
- hares ear nymph size 12-18
- Emerald shiner streamer pattern size 6
- Wooly buggers - black, white, olive
- Glo-bugs

This is a pretty good list. I would focus on size 14 flies before stocking up the other sizes for the egg and nymph patterns.

I am pretty sure I am one of the only flyfisherman that can't seem to catch a fish on sucker spawn...my patterns, bought flies, flashy patterns, crystal meth, doesn't matter, I can't catch a cold with them.

I do well on four flies...

bead head green and tan caddis
fluffy huevo (loosely tied egg pattern cream with orange dot)
rabbit leech patterns in grey, white, olive, black with flash
slumpbusters in Olive, white, and black

I have caught fish on small pheasant tails, serendipity, buggers...

I am stoked to try Zuddlers, had a great year on them on the Penn State creeks this year.

Boss

egg patterns and nymphs will catch fish :)

a good site I have used as a reference for flies to use on chrome is defranksflies.com. it shows a wide verity of flies that are very successful and also has video instruction on how to tie each as well as a list of materials

There is also a 13 page thread about steelie flies a little further down the page

Yea I've been reading it aswell.

ElonDO's list covers the basic steelhead flies. You don't really need much more.

egg color with a roe or orange dot will hook a fish. no doubt

Is there a consensus on the right size for streamers? Going to try to tie up some zonker or other streamer patterns and just wondering where to start for the Erie tribs....thanks!

For your nymphs do you keep them natural looking or bright and flashy?

beadhead pheasant tails, copper john, prince, crystal buggers work well. size 14-16 on nymphs size 10-6 on buggers with 10 and 8 being better choices.

sucker spawn and single eggs always produce. Tie up a few different color variations.

stone fly patterns produced for me as well. Went with large heavy stones, tied with hares mask and squirrel dubbing. PM me if you want any recipes.

I was thinking the same thing.

marcq wrote:
It's gonna be my first year going up to erie looking for some patters I should have tied up before I get there. Probably heading up in November.

Marc

2x heavy is fine. I weight all of my steelhead flies as well.

marcq wrote:
For your nymphs do you keep them natural looking or bright and flashy?

I fish mainly a size 14 BHPT, I tie in some Krystal flash on the wing case and tail. Never bothered with legs, doesn't seem to matter. Weight is the key as I said previously.

Back