State orders drilling halt after water wells polluted

Gone4Day

Gone4Day

Guess pcray is right, there's still a significant amount of conventional drilling going on in PA.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11095/1137024-503.stm
Most of it done by privately owned companies like Catalyst Energy, though.

That sucks. I'm sure one of the well casings wasn't deep enough, improperly installed, or busted. Hope it doesn't spread, hope the company figures out what went wrong to avoid it in the future, and I hope they get some truly hefty fines, rather than a slap on the wrist.

Not sure what you mean by "privately owned companies", as pretty much all of them, Marcellus or conventional, are in the private sector. If you mean whether or not they're incorporated and publicly traded, well, it says right in the article that Catalyst was incorporated in 1992. They can be different companies. Some companies are in conventional plays only, some in Marcellus only, and some in both.

pcray1231 wrote:
That sucks. I'm sure one of the well casings wasn't deep enough, improperly installed, or busted. Hope it doesn't spread, hope the company figures out what went wrong to avoid it in the future, and I hope they get some truly hefty fines, rather than a slap on the wrist.

Not sure what you mean by "privately owned companies", as pretty much all of them, Marcellus or conventional, are in the private sector. If you mean whether or not they're incorporated and publicly traded, well, it says right in the article that Catalyst was incorporated in 1992. They can be different companies. Some companies are in conventional plays only, some in Marcellus only, and some in both.

In many cases if the stock is not publicly traded the company does not have to publish financial reports or disclose key capital investments. A privately held company can be incorporated.

Do either of you know how they determine if a well casing is installed properly?

I don't know the testing procedures, no. Generally a casing is essentially 2 steel pipes of different diameters, with concrete poured in between. They have to go to a certain depth, supposedly measured to be the bottom of the water table, i.e. anything below that will not end up in groundwater or streams. But that depth is different everywhere, so someone has to make a decision. I assume that decision is based off of a core sample or something similar, but I don't really know, and I assume they add a nice safety cushion.

Most failures occur by either not taking the casing deep enough, or else a cracked casing, allowing pressurized frackwater/gas/oil to pass. Generally these cracks can be prevented with higher grades of steel and/or cement, they're a combination of pressure and corrosion. But as anything else, its a cost trade-off. If going with cheaper stuff saves more money than the expected fines for the expected failure rate, well..... Thats why I want ridiculously steep fines, they should use the best stuff available, you wanna make it the cheap option. And yes, if I have any personal agenda, it's this, as my company is one of several that makes the steel and we like selling the more expensive stuff. But I do believe it personally from an environmental standpoint as well.

There are also surface failures, where the cap on the surface busts open and you end up with a geyser of nasty stuff, which soaks into the surrounding ground. You can also have surface spills, which can be due to carelessness, pipes failing, tanks failing, pool liners failing, etc. Many of these can be prevented simply by being careful, i.e. standard operating procedures, and monitoring pressures and such. But many are also related to material choices, just like the well casings. Generally, though, because they're on the surface, these leaks are temporary and obvious, in that everyone knows there was a leak well before a homeowner finds it in their water supplies.

Back