State College in Mid May. Suggestions?

khuhner

khuhner

I'm headed to PA in mid-May for the first time and will be fishing the State College area. As a beginner, what should I focus on? I've been tying March Browns, and smaller Sulphurs....any other ideas? What about equipment?

Any other advice for a PA newbie?

Thanks!
Kurt

Kurt,
You're in for a treat - the SC area is fabulous in May. I would suggest have some cream caddis (#16) and some yellow crane flies (#16). You are likely to see these on Spring Creek. If bugs aren't coming off you can always get fish on the bottom nymphing. Have some small olive nymphs and, if you hit Penns or Big Fishing Creek, some stonefly nymphs are good too. The usual streamers work well (olive or black Wooly Buggers). I did well last week on Spring Creek with streamers. May is not too early for terrestrials. You will see browns hugging the bank in May. A well placed foam beetle or ant might work well too. Good luck.

Bring some scud patterns for Spring Creek

Mid May could be a bit early for good sulfur hatches, but be sure to have some sulfurs with you anyway just in case. The other suggestions above are good. If you haven't checked the Flyfishers Paradise web site, they have periodic stream reports and fly suggestions for the major State College area streams. Click here: Stream Reports. The fly suggestions will be updated (especially dry flys) so you'll have to check back as the time gets closer.

The Feathered Hook also has stream reports, plus hatch charts that you can look at for May fly suggestions. Check it out here: Feathered Hook Stream Reports

ask again closer to the time and Ill give you an update. Im on spring a few days a week in May.

Scuds and sowbugs are the key underwater pattern on Spring and those will yield fish anytime.

Tan Caddis are a good pattern and will catch fish all day as hatches are often sporadic and daylong.

Call Jonas at the feathered hook.

PM me and maybe we can meet up, I live in SC and fish the stream a few days a week.

In addition to Jonas, you will also want to go to flyfishers paradise by the mall look them up online @ flyfishersparadise.com

I too will vouch for the scudd, also a fat hares ear, muskrat or birds nest all will suffice.

Mid may may be a little early for the Sulphurs but if it is warm I'd stay till dark in hopes that they may materialize.

If its your first time there I would recomend going to fisherman's paradise. It's probably my least favorite spot to fish on the stream but it is kind of a spectacle. Be sure to walk around there are some surpirses there.

Spring is my all time favorite stream though I think some of my favorite spots have scoured out ofver the years. Talk to the guys in the shops wear polarized glasses and you will be amazed at all of the fish that are in that stream.

Any time you go to spring creek, bring a dozen of size 14 or 16 muskrat nymphs (or another cressbug imitation). I've fished them right through heavy sulphur hatches and still caught fish.

This is a useful thread for me too; I'll be heading to spring for the first time during the last weekend of May. One of the guys I'm going with strongly recommends the cut wing sulpher from flyfisher's paradise. He ties his own, but says during the hatch this pattern kills.

Hey Ian,
I remember Steve from Fly Fisher's Paradise once saying that their single best selling fly was a size 16 sulpher comparadun, for what it's worth. I've always preferred a parachute with a fluorescent yellow wing. I guess there's more than one way to skin a cat!

Glenside, huh? Used to live there until I moved downtown this fall.

Good advice so far, except for the part about flyfishers paradise.

I'm young and broke and I walk in and am ignored. I was recently in the shop to buy a whip finisher, as I am just learning to tie. I walk in and as ususal, the staff continues their conversation with one another as if i am not there. I am the only customer in the store at this time.

I walked around looking for the tool and couldn't find it. Nobody asks me for help, nobody greets me when I walk in, nobody acknowledges me when I walk up to the table where everyone is sitting talking.

I can't stand that store. They get so many complaints from folks around here for thier stuck up attitudes. Ask them a question and they look at you like you are stupid. The business has survived because fly fishing in Centre Co. is extremely popular and they were the only game in town for a while.

Jonas if further from Spring Creek and State College, but I drive there for my needs.

Tulpehocken Creek Outfitters is opening a shop 1/2 mile from Flyfishers. If TCO runs an operation anything like the one they run in West Lawn(five mins from where I went to HS) than Flyfishers will be out of business in little time.

If you do go to Flyfishers, walk in with $100 bills in your hands and you might get a "hello."

Rant finished.

Wow. This hasn't been my experience with Fly Fisher's Paradise. I can't even imagine them behaving like that. Everyone I know that goes there has nothing but the utmost respect for them.....Ed

bede,

Everyone has an experience and an opinion, but I've been to dozens of fly shops all over the country, and I would rate FFP as one of the friendliest and helpful shops I have ever visited. Their entire staff is knowledgeable, and their customer service has been stellar for me, both at the shop and mail order. I would give them a try again.

Im interested in knowing your age and the type of car you drive. When they see me walk in they think poor college student. They are mostly right. My father has experienced different treatment there, but won't patronize them based on how I have been treated.

However, I have heard many other complaints about treatment at FFP.

Jonas was all class from day one. I'll drive to Coburn and burt the gas for things I need.

I don't have any interest in the success or failure of either shop, for the record, other than the way I have been treated at both shops.

Like I said, if TCO in Lemont/SC is anything like the TCO in West Lawn, FFP is gonna be in some trouble.

Wow, thanks for all the great advice!

The one pattern mentioned that I dont have (yet) are the sowbugs. I also noticed that no one mentioned March Browns? The guide we hired mentioned those and the sulphers.

Thanks again all!
Kurt

Speaking as a former "poor student" at PSU, I would like to put a plug in for FFP. Their treatment of me was very good. The folks there always had time for me and answered my questions even though I didn't buy much. After awhile they even hired me as one of their fly tyers helping me earn some money as an undergraduate. While I didn't turn out to be one of their better tyers, Steve always was there to help me and any other customer in the countless times I have visited that shop. Their customer service is second to none. I too have visited fly shops all around the country and FFP remains near the very top in my book insofar as customer service and professionalism goes.

I'm surprised to hear negative posts about FFP also - I've always been treated great there.
Usually when I walk in there, there are other customers around and the staff is talking with them - but I know where everything is and help myself. But if I have a question about something, they have always taken the time to help me. There's so much stuff in there, I like being able to browse on my own, without anyone tailing me anyway.
They're also straight shooters - if the fishing is lousy, they'll tell you - on their website or by phone. They don't hype things up to try to get you to come up there., unlike a lot of other fly shops.
I really hope the new shop doesn't ruin their business - they've been there so long

bebe,

I don't know how many times you've been to FFP, I can vouch for your experience of poor service there, happen to me more than once there. I also had great sevice there. Most of my "poor" experences where the first couple times I was there. If you are unwealthy like me, save yourself a little gas and give them another try. As for the new shop down the road, when is are they opening?
JH

I have given FFP a ton of chances because of thier covenient location.
I have given up on them.

I hope they go out of business. It is easy to stay in business when you are the only game in town, which is nolonger true as of Saturday.

Khuhner,

A parachute Adams with a small beadhead nymph (Sulphur, Pheasant Tail, Prince, etc.) dropper will most likely keep your line tight all day. Some of the strikes on the dry are vicious and in the slow water scare you half to death. The fish seem to come out of nowhere.

If you see sulphurs, the comparadun is the way to go.

Have fun - You'll fall in love with the stream

Back