Starter Hook Assortment

Luke

Luke

Gurus,

I am just starting in my fly tying journey and I need to buy hooks. Can anyone recommend a quality assortment to get started? All of the different models numbers seem pretty complicated and I do not yet have a favorite brand. I am not trying to be lazy, just looking for suggestions. I probably will start a spreadsheet to keep track of my needs and materials for different patterns.

At this point, I am tying only for trout and mostly the following kinds of patterns:

Nymphs: e.g. Prince Nymph, Pheasant Tails, Green Weenie, Stoneflies

Streamers: Wooly Buggers, Muddler Minnows

Dry Flies: CDC Caddis, Adams, Rusty and Olive Spinners, Grannoms

Emergers: Sulfur Emergers, Hendrickson Emergers

Thanks in advance for pointing me in the best direction!

Ask 5 tyers get 6 answers :)
Don't worry about the individual manufacturer codes. They will get into your head over time. Instead, focus on the style and dimensions of the hook and what is important for the flys you want to tie. There are many hook charts on the net, but this one is very good at describing the different shapes and measurements: Hook chart
For the specific flys you mention, here is what I use most (and I expect others to have different choices that are just as valid):

Nymphs: e.g. Prince Nymph, Pheasant Tails,
2X-Long Nymph

Stoneflies
3X-Long Nymph, or the unique Mustad 37160 (thanks to Outsider for showing me these)

Dry Flies: CDC Caddis, Adams, Rusty and Olive Spinners, Grannoms
Wide Gape Down Eye

Emergers: Sulfur Emergers, Hendrickson Emergers
Light Wire Scud or Wide Gape Down Eye depending on pattern

I cut out the types that I don't tie enough of to make an reasoned suggestion. These are only suggestions and you will find in time that you want to expand to other types. For example, a 1X-short dry fly hook might be a good choice for extended body flies or variants because you get a wide gape on a smaller hook.
Mike.

Been a member since 2010 and now just starting to tie. Congratulations man!

Orvis sells hook assortments. The only catch is to cover all your bases you will need to buy 3 or 4 selections. The dry assortment, the nymph assortment, the streamer assortment, and the midge assortment. It can get pricey but I'm not sure if there are many selections available like these. You could also post a WTB in the swap forum. I bought a pretty good selection from another member here.

Well, I have been only dabbling in tying for a couple of years now. I am just starting to get serious about it. I was using hooks from my father-in-law's materials but I recently gave him his stuff back as I could only freeload for so long :)

Luke,

FrequentTyer's list covers most of it. For woolly buggers and similar trout streamers a 3xl hook will get the job done. I tie most of my buggers in #8 and #10. Definitely buy some scud type hooks like a tmc 2487. Lighter wire models a re great for emergers and the heavier ones will suffice for many types of nymphs. Just because, for instance a pheasant tail recipe calls for a 2xl nymph hook doesn't mean you can't tie one on a scud hook.

I'd be happy to help you out with anything.

I just wanted to bump this thread because I started fly tying recently and it's definitely confusing looking at all the hooks in the fly shop.

FrequentTyers post was very helpful!!

I was just wondering, does anyone ever use hooks from the regular hook section of the fishing store? It just seems they are sometimes cheaper than the fly tying hooks. I'm guessing it would never be an option for dry flys, but what about everything else?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

If I were a new tyer looking for a first time supply, I'd certainly look at Allen Hooks. They are very reasonably priced everyday but I think he has a 50% off sale going on now. I think shipping is free and fast. All the hooks I've gotten from him (been tying for 20 plus years) have done everything I've asked.

Just my 2 cents.

Scratch the sale, that was only for 12 hours on 7/9 but they are still very well priced and good quality.

Thanks for the tip on Allen. I've been looking for some aluminum half foam/ half compartment fly boxes and all of theirs are 50% off right now as I look at the website. Definitely bookmarking them...

Seconding Allen. In May, purchased 400 hooks, various styles and sizes for a very reasonable cost. Had I been quicker, would have pulled the trigger on the one day sale. Prepared a list for next opportunity.

Also, belated thanks to members for recommending Allen on a different post.

DanVerona wrote:

I was just wondering, does anyone ever use hooks from the regular hook section of the fishing store? .

Sure - I do this all the time.
You'll want to be careful however. The hooks that come in the long packs labeled "snelled hooks" that have a short length of mono tied to them are garbage. Also, most of the smaller sizes at Walmart or your local fishing store (they only go down to about #14 at these stores) are usually poor quality, esp if they're red or gold. On the other hand, the larger size hooks designed for use with soft plastic lures are often very good quality and laser sharpened. Look for brands like Gamekatsu. I use a lot of these for tying bass flies. Smaller hooks with a good point and small barb are fine for panfish flies too and some trout patterns.

However, if you're mainly going to be tying small, or very small flies for trout fishing, you'll be better off buying hooks for that application.

Yea I was referred to Allen hooks by someone on the forum too. I actually placed an order when they had that 50 percent off sale the other day. It was awesome! Hooks for $1.25 a pack! I think if you know what platters you want to tie, you can just choose your hooks that way.

Get some 3xl streamer hooks for wooly buggers, standard nymph hooks, scud hooks (I like the straight eyes - I find down eye scud hooks difficult to tie on) , standard dry fly hooks, and maybe some 6xl streamer hooks for bucktails if you're interested in them. I think you'll know what sizes you want to tie. I would recommend making sure you have a few larger size nymph and scud hooks (10 or 12) - its much easier to tie larger nymphs when you first start out!

i believe the OP lives near lancaster,wherein some of our members meet and tye together.they could show some hooks,that's for sure.

Back