St. Croix Legend Ultra rods

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

Recently I bought a 10' 6wt. Legend Ultra from a forum member that I finally got out on the water today. What a nice rod! It is perfect for my casting style and was able to nymph up a few browns. What level graphite does the Legend Ultra use vs. the Elite? According to the serial number, mine was made in 2004 so it is the original series and not the Cabela's re-do from a year or two ago. It really is an awesome rod and am happy that I listened to another forum member and grabbed it before it sold. It looks like the same blank as the old Legend Elite bass rods they made around the same time so I thought I would ask. Honestly, for the waters I fish, I think this rod will handle nymphs and streamers just right and perhaps even in a pinch handle dries down to maybe 14-16. Thanks for any/all help!

I'm not sure of the graphite, I think it was sciv. The blank color is green correct? The legend ultras are pretty solid rods, I liked then more than the legend elite rods. I'd agree you got a good rod. I always thought they were very classy rods, the ones without the fighting but had uplocking rec reel seats with maple burl inserts.

I bought a legend ultra 804 several years ago after I had a vehicle stolen with all of.my rods in it. I only used the rod a couple times before I sold it. I ended up getting my gear back and ended up selling it to a member on this site who helped me out with insurance advice - at the end of the day I didn't file a claim because I got everything back. Looking back I probably should have gave it to jdaddy, he went out of his way to help me out.

Yes it has a matte greenish-blue blank. It's very nice looking. It really casts well and was told by St. Croix they still have extra tips available for $35 shipped that they can match with the serial number. I feel like getting an extra tip just to have as a backup but not necessarily needed. Currently, I have an Allen reel on it right now that I am switching back between the Legend Ultra and 996-4 Loop rod that I bought from the same forum member.

$35 is a great price for an extra tip. I'd definitely get one. Matte green is the rod I was thinking of.

If you like the legend ultra, look into sage sp or xp rods. You will probably like those as well.

Back