St. Croix Avid/Okuma Reel Combo

M

mgh-pa

Alright, most of you know I'm trying to get into this sport, and I'm on a bit of a budget. I'm hesitant to ask this since it's a post in the classifieds here by a fellow member, but I have to ask if you guys think this is a good price/setup for a beginner?

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5911&forum=14

I know the Avid is a very nice rod, but the Okuma reel is a very simple inexpensive reel, but since I'm going to be mostly after trout early on, I'm not sure that matters as much. I do like the fact that it comes with a case as well.

The reel's primary function is to hold line, and balance your rod. The cheapest, plastic, reels on the planet can accomplish this just fine, and you can always upgrade down the line.

(this advice may not neccessarily apply to the poster of this message, as he's prowling ebay in another window for a Orvis CFO click/pawl as he types this)

Thanks. What's the rod worth? I know the current Avid rods sell on Cabelas for $225+, but this is a slightly different model, right?

It is the older model. I have two and love them.
The used to retail for around $180.

The Avid is a rod you can grow into and although the Okuma Sierra is a simple reel, it's a solid choice. It's a little on the heavy side and maybe not as pretty as some reels out there, but it's not going to let you down, especially for trout. The drag on that reel is very good for it's price point.

Add in line, backing, case and free shipping to the fact this rod has seen little use and it looks like a good deal to me IF the rod's size and line weight meet your needs.

You'd be hard pressed to get a setup similar in caliber for $135 at least in my opinion.

Back