Spun dubbing brush

J55tyger88

J55tyger88

Anybody use these? Like thr Leisenring style brushes, not the popsicle stick with velcro :)

I watched a video on these and it seems like a split thread or dubbing loop technique could get the same effect. Just curious about others input...are these more beneficial for certain patterns?

split thread and/or dubbing loop = dubbing brush

i use a dubbing loop because i dont tie enough patterns to justify making or buying a dubbing brush making/spinning machine

i have tried pre made dubbing brushes in the past and they were ok to use.

Yeah i thought it seemed like an over complicating thing.

Leisenring developed his dubbing method to rely primarily on the thread (silk actually) color. The dubbing provided form and movement but the color of the thread shows through clearly. His brushes were dubbed much lighter than the modern variety used on streamers and such. If you are trying to replicate a Leisenring/Hidy pattern, touch dubbing will get you closer to the right effect.
Mike.

FrequentTyer wrote:
Leisenring developed his dubbing method to rely primarily on the thread (silk actually) color. The dubbing provided form and movement but the color of the thread shows through clearly. His brushes were dubbed much lighter than the modern variety used on streamers and such. If you are trying to replicate a Leisenring/Hidy pattern, touch dubbing will get you closer to the right effect.
Mike.

^ What he said. Tyger I have a book I will give you to read. It will tell you all about it.

GC

I either use a touch dubbing method (leisenring) or use a dubbing brush platform for large brushes, other wise I use the loop as I tie like in the nymphs I have posted here. I learned the leisenring method from Chip Stauffer who was a student of leisenring. Aw memories of the Broadhead...

Sandfly,
Nice. It just seems like the dubbing brush is the same as a dubbing loop spun during the tie. I've been watching a lot of Hans Weilenmann videos and he loves to dub with split threads. I've been doing this on some of my ties to keep the "bulk" of a dubbing loop down for my thorax and such.

Tyger, I feel both give the same effect. Just some of older guys like me LOL. can't see well enough to split the thread.
If you want this week when we tie. I can show you how to touch dub as some others have mentioned.

GC

nfrechet wrote:

i use a dubbing loop because i dont tie enough patterns to justify making or buying a dubbing brush making/spinning machine

There's no machine involved in Leisenring's method at all. (Clark later developed a block to simplify the process.) JL laid the waxed thread on his knee, laid dubbing material on top of half of it, folded it over, grabbed both ends and spun.

This method makes it somewhat easier (for me at least) than a dubbing loop to get a taper and to use different color dubbing material at each end to get an abdomen and thorax, since the material is lying horizontal rather than vertical, and both hands are free. (YMMV of course.)

The chief advantage for me, though is that I can spin up bodies and card them while I'm watching TV, and then tie the next night when I'm less distracted.

I dont know just seems like a pain. I read somewhere that flyfishers/tiers tend to overcomplicate things. To each his own i guess. Ill give it a shot though...

Gencon, sounds good man.

Back