Spring Creek Streamers, how to?

tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe

I fished Big Spring last weekend and could not get any action with drys or nymphs. This was in the ditch section where the current is very slow. I tried some wollybuggers but didn't get any interest until I tried a beadhead white crystal wollybugger. It seemed the light color was a key so I tried a few other light and silver colored streamers. They seemed to create some interest but these streamers were all unweighted so on every strip they came up and that appeared to break the trout's interest. Since I don't fish streamers much I wondered what retrieve approach might work best? Upstream or downstream? I see sculpins on lists of flys for spring creeks. Wondered how best to fish them?

When you say you tried "nymphs," did that include scuds? I was there several weeks ago and the only "nymph" that got any attention were the scuds. As for streamers, Jonas Price once said something at a Jam campfire that made sense and has seemed to me accurate based upon my own observations: scared baitfish would escape with the current rather than against it-- suggesting a presentation the has the streamer coming downstream. Don't get me wrong, I've caught plenty dangling and twitching in the current, but for wild fish in a crystal-clear stream, an irratic downstream drift would probably gain the most attention. That's my first guess anyways. However, please bear in mind that I have no idea what I am talking about.

Yes, several scud and sowbug patterns in several colors.

I was there two days. Caught two on the white woollybugger. The ones I caught were on a downstream retrieve but more because I thought the fish would see me if I was upstream from them. Others would chase and bump where they wouldn't even budge for a dark woollybugger. I don't have much experience with streamers and that was where there was some current to work with. It just seemed like a change in presentation or color could have resulted in more strikes.

FWIW and I'm not claiming to know anymore than JackM but I have most of my luck stripping down and across where the streamer is slightly downcurrent but showing a bit of a profile to the waiting fish.

I'm not familiar with Big Spring, but if you were not catching on nymphs, it probably has to do with your presentation. You were either not deep enough, or if you were indicator fishing your indicator was spooking fish or something. If it is anything like Falling Springs fish were probably being spooked. On really clear limestone streams your approach is crucial. As far as streamers go, many times streamers will move fish out of anywhere and you'll get bumps and chases. Only sometimes will they take. For instance I like to throw streamers on the really clear slow, glassy areas on spring creeks with lots of vegetation. If you do not see any fish in site you will be amazed at what will come out of the weeds once the streamer hits the water.

Back