Spring Creek: NZ mud snails

R

rrt

I recently read on a SC fly shop site that Spring Creek has been invaded by NZ mud snails. Hopefully if you fish there, you will take the proper precautions with your boots/waders prior to fishing elsewhere.

I think everyone on here know of rock snot in Pine Creek, so I think similar precautions should be taken.

It's getting so that we might have to wear separate boots or waders when fishing infected streams -- other than the ones we wear on streams that are not infected. Geez....

On extended fishing trips that I've been taking for the last 3-4 years now, I've been carrying 2 pair of waders and 2-3 pair wading boots.
I often bounce around from little j, to spring creek, and the delaware river.
The two different invasives in the D and spring creek really complicates things for sure.
Hopefully, this stuff won't spread to more streams. But unfortunately, I'm afraid that's just wishful thinking

Its been that way for a long time hasn't it? That one needs to have a few pairs of waders n boots for different streams. Or at least that's what I've been doing. That or clean n bleach city before a different watershed/stream.

Let's just hope that Great Blue Herons, ducks and other critters that travel through the different watersheds will also take the time to disinfect their legs and feathers.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
Let's just hope that Great Blue Herons, ducks and other critters that travel through the different watersheds will also take the time to disinfect their legs and feathers.

The only thing anglers can control is their own gear. We have the responsibility to do that.

rrt - this is unfortunately old(er) news and I am pessimistic that the snails have not already spread. So many people fish Spring and in certain places, the little buggers are everywhere. I sometimes find dozens of them in my boots and at a quick glance, they look like dark sand. Not everyone can afford a second set of gear or knows to disinfect the gear they have.

Regarding the mud snails - I've read that they can be killed by putting your wading boots in a freezer for 8 hours. Which is fine if you are going back home after a days fishing.
But that's not very feasible if you're on an extended fishing trip away from home

Not to sound like a pessimist, but I'm sure that the snails will be spread to many, many streams in the state. I think that we will have to basically just wait and see what kind of impact they have on the trout and stream ecology. Here is something to ponder. New Zealand and the islands surrounding NZ have these snails in many, many streams and lakes yet they have thriving Brown Trout populations and excellent fishing......so if those trout can thrive with the mudsnails I'm sure they can here too.

I think we have to make attempts to slow or prevent the spread of invasives, whether it is an effort in futility or not. I use a bleach solution with water on my boots with a scrub brush, and then rinse with hose water. On my waders, I visually inspect and use dish soap and water to clean the muddy areas. With dydimo being a problem in a lot of good MD waters. I've witnessed that it hasn't hurt the hatches at all, or the fish, but it can be a huge hassle to the nymph fisherman. I expect the snails to be similar, but that has yet to be seen up here. I'm sure the fish will thrive, and I have not seen an effect on Spring creek. Invasives are unfortunate, but I don't consider them a tragedy.

3wt7X wrote:
I think we have to make attempts to slow or prevent the spread of invasives, whether it is an effort in futility or not. I use a bleach solution with water on my boots with a scrub brush, and then rinse with hose water. On my waders, I visually inspect and use dish soap and water to clean the muddy areas. With dydimo being a problem in a lot of good MD waters. I've witnessed that it hasn't hurt the hatches at all, or the fish, but it can be a huge hassle to the nymph fisherman. I expect the snails to be similar, but that has yet to be seen up here. I'm sure the fish will thrive, and I have not seen an effect on Spring creek. Invasives are unfortunate, but I don't consider them a tragedy.

^ Agreed.

If we don't take care of our streams and do all we can to prevent pollution, over development, dewatering and invasive species...who will?

I'm not saying we shouldn't take precautions and champion for what is right. In regards to riparian buffers, waste water treatment, pollution, etc I know we can have many victories. When it comes to preventing tiny hitchhikers from spreading stream to stream, good luck. Of course we should all take precautions, but there are too many who are ignorant to the problem, don't care, or are too lazy to take the necessary precautions to prevent these critters from eventur being nearly everywhere.

I agree with jifigz... We all have a responsibility to do whats right and I most definatly will. Protecting our streams is a #1 priority.

But with that said, not everyone is as heavily involved in fishing as many fly fishers, ALOT of folks just go buy some worms and go fishing for the day, then the next couple days do the same at a different stream. I really doubt these type of folks are reading up on invasive species or even know about it, just saying if they are that easily spread, its inevitable.

NZ mud snails? Saute 'em up in some butter and garlic. Add a little fresh parsley, yum!

Back