Spring creek help

D

Dante12

Got the day off tmw and since spring creek seems to be the only not blown out around me I think I'll take the few hour drive up. I heard some suggestions of parking on the end of Shiloh road and fishing that section. Is that still part of the fly fisherman paradise and no wading? Any other suggestions while I'm at it?

Shiloh Road is well outside of FFP. Only a short stretch of FFP is no wade, down by the Stackhouse school. Walk a bit, but there will be fish anywhere you go.

You can wade there in the canyon section. Fished there Friday and it did get kind of full of fishermen. Might be better on a Monday? We also fished Bald Eagle creek. Water was in better flow and color on Bald Eagle.

Thanks for the info! I'm hoping a mondays a bit quieter then a friday

The no wading section is at Fishermans Paradise and is only about 1/2 mile long.

Just go right into the trench and start slapping the water.

If Spring Ck is bank full and muddy I would cast big articulated streamers against the banks. You may be surprised to see what comes out of hiding.

JeffK wrote:
If Spring Ck is bank full and muddy I would cast big articulated streamers against the banks. You may be surprised to see what comes out of hiding.
very good advice-did that on the Famous Armstrong spring creek in Montana when the jellystone was so high it backed up into Armstrong and in the FFP when it was high and muddy-
pre-articulated days but big marabou muddlers worked far,far better than I would have imagined if I hadn't tried them-also learned just how those lateral lines work-sight fishing-about a foot at most both days-sensory lines picked up good vibrations-
tried to write a story about mimicking the minnow more productive than matching the hatch,even on spring creeks at times-sent it to Fly fisherman mag-still waiting for the check in the mail-sure it will come because I loved how witty and informative I was-

90% of the time i fish streamers I use large (size 2 6xl) weighted, sparsely tied marabou muddlers. The only downside is that they take me about 10 mins to tie one...

In my opinion, the biggest key to fishing streamers isn't the pattern or technique, it's when you fish them. Much easier to move fish in low light conditions.

I fished Spring Creek on Monday. It is definitely not high at this point. Actually, It would have fished better if it was higher.

Back