Spring Creek (Centre) - winter conditions

salmonoid

salmonoid

If I can dodge the sickness that just swept through both ends of my youngest kid, and can manage to thread the needle for the different ends of the snow storm that is forecast, I'm supposed to be in State College for training Tuesday - Thursday of this upcoming week. I know temperatures are not supposed to be above freezing for that period and I'll be in class 8AM - 5PM, so daytime options are going to be limited for me. But, I intend to still try a little night fishing anyway. I think I skipped Spring Creek most of last January - March, so I don't know what condition it was in during the severe cold snaps. I did fish it during one cold spell in December 2013, and there was some bank ice starting to form, but the majority of the water was open. I don't expect the stream to be frozen over, but since it will probably be close to dark until I get to the stream, I'm wondering what conditions to expect.

Let us know how you made out. We've discussed the idea of night fishing during winter last year - time to carry on the game plan.

Maybe even throw that mouse again...

My guess would be that water conditions should be decent - maybe a bit cold from snowmelt but it really hasn't been so cold the last week or so. Good luck...we're waiting for the pics. :)

I doubt that any of Spring Cr will be iced over. That only happens when it gets extremely cold. And even then there are other sections that never freeze.

Often in the winter the access road along the creek gets very icy.

Other than that, just check the weather forecasts.

Tues night, 9F. Have fun and be safe.

I would weight a small olive wooly bugger so much that within 4 seconds of touch down it sticks on the bottom. Then peel off weight until you can control the drift just centimeters from the bottom by lifting occasionally when you feel the bump of the bottom. Some small percentage of the time, the bottom will be a trout, and you will thrill to the tug on the other end.

The trout will be in deeper pools, but expect them to move to the lip of the pool, just below the riffle when they are hungry.

Good luck!

Fishidiot wrote:
Let us know how you made out. We've discussed the idea of night fishing during winter last year - time to carry on the game plan.

Maybe even throw that mouse again...

My guess would be that water conditions should be decent - maybe a bit cold from snowmelt but it really hasn't been so cold the last week or so. Good luck...we're waiting for the pics. :)

FI - this outing is a continuation of the self-imposed challenge that started when you threw out the question as to whether fish could be caught year-round at night. For myself, the additional requirement is to do this with a mouse. Otherwise, I would probably be sitting in a warm hotel room, studying what I should be, which is the 48 page glossary of terms and 3 and 4 letter acronyms that relate to ITIL Foundation. Still have to figure out how to work that component in somehow.

It sounds like gravity will allow me to get to the stream (put on the brakes and slide down the road), but might impede my progress getting back out. I threw in the minus 15 degree sleeping bag just in case. Still trying to figure out how to thaw out the gear for each next day. It will be frozen solid sitting in the car overnight, so I might just throw it in the hotel room to keep it all wearable. Which raises an interesting thought about invasive species - I wonder what New Zealand mud snails would do to the plumbing of a hotel like the Penn Stater? Or wherever the discharge from the wastewater treatment plant from the Penn Stater goes..

if you can't garage the car overnight, definitely take it to your room.

you need to start the session dry and warm imho.

in this cold don't stray too far from the car, and definitely take a wading stick.

winter nights are not the time to trip and take even a partial dip.

stay safe out there :)

I bring my gear in hotels all of the time and hang up my waders. I try to use back doors so I don't get questioned. In the winter it's to keep everything warm, in the summer its to keep my car from stinking.

I also think you get a lot longer life out of your waders/boots if you hang them up after each use so its a habit now. I have G3s and G4s and they've lasted a lot longer than other waders I've had, but part of me thinks it's because I take care of them a lot better than the cheaper pairs I've had in the past...

Well, I can report that the catching was a bust. The fishing was still quite enjoyable. I fished Tuesday and Wednesday evening, between 6 and 8/8:30. Tuesday, the air temperature was in the mid-20s when I started and Wednesday, I took an air temperature of 9 degrees (!). I took a water temperature of 38 degrees Wednesday and that air/water temperature differential created the most intense fog that came rolling off the stream. It remains a fact that I have never caught a fish at night when the mists roll off the water, whether the air temp is 9, 32, or 50.

Although I am generally not an advocate of the idea that a moon at night is bad, for these two nights, I don't think the moon did me any favors. A waxing gibbous moon, plus ten inches of fresh, powdery snow lights up the night like a soft spotlight. You're no longer a shadow moving in shadows. You're a shadow moving against a white backdrop, which provides about as stark a contrast as you can get.

I've stepped out of my car in the parking lot on Spring and heard the music of fish splashing in the stream at night as late as December, but there was no splashing these two evenings. I threw a mouse the first night but with zero surface activity and not a hint of interest, I switched over to a big black Crafty Sculpin. I had what might have been a bump towards the end of my outing, but that was it for Tuesday.

Wednesday was far colder and I almost immediately ran into guide icing issues. Tuesday, I could get about a dozen casts in before needing to dunk the rod. Wednesday, it was only three or four and the guides would freeze solid. I also had two things happen to me that I don't recall ever happening before. The first was that in addition to the guides freezing up, I had a solid coating of ice form on the rod as well. The second was the result of me being unable to find my left hand neoprene glove Wednesday night. So I opted for a wool glove with a fliptop mitten. I quickly found this to be a major pain and difficulty for stripping line, so I removed the glove. By about 7:15, every time I would touch my reel with my bare left hand, my hand would freeze to the reel for a few seconds. Since the reel was aluminum, my body warmth would eventually melt the frozen connection, but it made me think of flag poles and kids freezing their tongues to them during the cold at recess. Anyway, I eventually packed it in Wednesday night.

I wouldn't say the fish were completely inactive either. I've had nights where after I'm done fishing, I hit the water with a spotlight to locate the fish, and the fish are just holding on the bottom. Hit them with the light and they just don't move. That was not the case Tuesday night and to a lesser degree on Wednesday night. The suckers kind of just levitated and moseyed here and there when the light would hit them. The trout would go spastic and dart all over the place, including leaping out of the water in an instance or two.

Despite no catching, all was not lost. I had a net gain of flies, finding a pretty nice articulated streamer that someone lost, in about three feet of water. I resisted the urge to dunk my hand in to grab it. And it's really peaceful and quiet on winter nights, with the snow reflecting the moon and pale, cold starlight. The icy fog was pretty cool too.

Back