Spring Creek Carp

flyfishingNZ

flyfishingNZ

I was out at fisherman paradise this week showing a friend what fly fishing is all about. She was able to get into a bunch of blue gills, but the trout were on strike for the day; however the carp were out in force and tailing.

I put on a heavy fly (just put on something that would sink fast) and placed it in the path of the carp or in cloud of dirt around them, but I was unable to get a take or the crap would spot the fly/line and run. Anyone had any success on spring creek with the crap and what are some good patterns to use? If the trout are still off this weekend I might have to give it another go.

Dear nz,

Use something visible to you like sucker spawn or a glo bug. Cast it out well ahead of the carp and just watch the fly for a take.

You might also want to try a crayfish pattern. Again cast it out ahead of the carp and as they draw closer slowing start retrieving it across their path.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Agree with watching takes and the glo bug/egg pattern.

I know they're rough fish but you don't gotta call them crap. Lolz

I was laughing at the "crap" typos meself. Haha!

TimMurphy wrote:
Dear nz,

Use something visible to you like sucker spawn or a glo bug. Cast it out well ahead of the carp and just watch the fly for a take.

Another example of that type of fly is the Sinking Green Inchworm i.e. Green Weenie. Use the bright chartreuse yarn, which makes the fly very easy to see. You just cast out ahead of where the carp are, so you don't spook them, then let the fly lay on the bottom, and hope the carp comes along and vacums it up. I've caught, or should say HOOKED, several carp this way.

Some of those carp have a cool "blue tint" to them on Spring... anyone have any theories why?

I used to catch them below Bellefonte. My heart would sink everytime I felt that weight on the line; expecting a 30" trout.

I also used to catch suckers a lot too.

The flies I caught them on were your typical trout flies.

Yeah I always catch them on big old Prince nymphs.

jjsjigs wrote:
Some of those carp have a cool "blue tint" to them on Spring... anyone have any theories why?

Yes.... They are Penn State carp.

Good answer!!!

Blue tint could be like redfish, there tails will turn a blue tint when they get aggetated.

Every carp I have taken has been on a lightly weighted black bugger.

I saw a kid catch a sunfish last year during a youth FF class that was a cool shade of blue. Not just the gill but the whole flank. Had to wonder about it. Anybody remember seeing the goldfish in there a few years ago? Also made me scratch my head.

Back