Spring Creek - Bellefonte

wbranch

wbranch

Since the Delaware system is totally blown out I was thinking of a two day trip to Bellefonte and fish SC. I have fished there a bit with mediocre success. I was wondering if there might be a streamer bite in the early mornings and if so would any SC fisher be able to recommend a couple of patterns and sizes? I'm tying some #10 Black Nose Dace right now and was thinking of tying a couple #8 BH Woolly Buggers. Any other suggestions? Thinking of Tuesday and Wednesday. Thanks.

Buggers size 2 through 6. Any dark/natural color. Spring Creek is easy on the streamer bite this time of year..I can also recommend white.

Thanks. I didn't expect to see sizes that large considering I have never caught a BT over 12" in the dozen or so trips I have made over the past 6 or 7 years. I tied four pink BH black buggers in #8 and I have a bunch of larger BH buggers I use for steelhead. I also have about half a dozen gold BH white buggers in #6 so I guess I won't tie any more. I think though I will tie a couple #6 black over white Clousers. All my other Clousers are #4 - #1/0. I think there are about 235 in that box.

Attachments

• Clouser Box1.JPG
    Clouser Box1.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 3
  • Clouser Box 2.JPG
    Clouser Box 2.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 3
Size 6 is about the SMALLEST bugger I fish for trout but it is the size I use most often. I do tie and carry some size 10's but find the larger buggers out fish the smaller sizes all of the time for me. I love clousers too but for some reason don't hammer all that many trout on them.

I have streamer fished many miles of Spring Creek- typically when it was higher with a little stain.

Like all of the methods of fly fishing , I tend not to overthink them and streamer fishing is no different.

For me, I would not see a need really to use much more than a black or olive slump buster. At times when really high and stained I would use a black or olive articulated fly with maybe a lil crystal flash.

This past spring I lost a giant on spring because like an idiot I had 4x on and was promptly broke off as I wasn’t fully prepared to employ the correct tactic of 0x- either I didn’t have heavier tippet or was to lazy. I still recall getting broke off when the huge fish surfaced and rolled and got a brief glimpse of the giant.

Usually I walk right down the middle of the stream and pound the banks- to me it’s the easiest fishing there is. Also just let it swing, I think it’s pretty simple fishing. Good luck.

I love clousers too but for some reason don't hammer all that many trout on them

I guess it all depends on the rivers we fish that make some flies more effective. I have caught hundreds of 16" - 21" (and about a dozen larger) since 2002 on Clousers in the rivers I fish most often.

If the water is high and colored hitting the banks (or letting a fly swing along the banks if need be) with a big articulated streamer works OK for me. To be honest, I get many more looks than hits. However, most the the fish looking make my heart stop a little. Big trout seem to come out of nowhere when the water is colored.

Back