Spring Creek- 1st Time

nittspike

nittspike

Hi All,

Heading to State College next weekend with my 11yr old son. We would like to fish Spring Creek and I was wondering if someone could offer some advice on access points, good locations, etc? Also should we bring our waders and or is wet wading acceptable? We plan to head up Friday afternoon and stop in at the local fly shops for some stream advice. It's been about 25 yrs since graduation so excited to show my son the campus etc.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
John

Should stop at the Flyfisher's Paradise:2603 E.College Ave,state College,PA ;814 234 4189.for intel
Also TCO in State College.Both shops have "good people"
Enjoy your trip with your son

nittspike wrote:
Hi All,

Heading to State College next weekend with my 11yr old son. We would like to fish Spring Creek and I was wondering if someone could offer some advice on access points, good locations, etc? Also should we bring our waders and or is wet wading acceptable? We plan to head up Friday afternoon and stop in at the local fly shops for some stream advice. It's been about 25 yrs since graduation so excited to show my son the campus etc.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
John

Just follow Spring Creek Road which parallels the stream. There are designated parking areas and areas to pull off to fish the stream all along that road. Pick any open area that looks good to fish...it is.

I prefer to use waders, but I suppose wet wading would be okay this time of year.

Good luck.

My favorite stretch is The Canyon by the mall. Very accessible with a large parking lot and a nice path to walk down. Plus, I believe this is the most scenic section. However, it does get crowded because of such easy access. I normally avoid the majority of people by walking down the path about a mile.

^ Benner springs? google that and you should find maps. Obviously the paradise is good too. Anywhere is good as afish said.

Yeah, by far the two most common accesses are:

1. Spring Creek Rd. From Fisherman's Paradise down to 550 just above Bellefonte, is several miles of road which parallels the stream and has plenty of PFBC lots for access. There are lots of camps and houses, but the stream itself is PFBC owned.

2. Benner Springs. Across from Nittany Mall and down over the hill on Shiloh Rd. Big parking lot, but it's walk in up or down. Can go miles down into the canyon, the whole way to Paradise (can reach the same area by parking at paradise and walking up). There's a gated road to walk that parallels the stream.

All of it is good. The former is probably easier, as you can drive the stream and pick and choose where to go. Spring Creek is blessed with good access.

Fly Fishers Paradise is one of, if not the best shop in the state. And TCO ain't bad either. Both are close to one another so you can check out both if you want. Both are on College Avenue (route 26), between the Nittany Mall and 322. From there you can take Shiloh Rd to Benner Springs or continue on out the Benner Pike (150) to get to the Paradise/Spring Creek Rd area.

You can wet wade, but be warned, it's COLD water.

The name hatch at this time of year is tricos. Spinner fall in fairly early mornings, get there early on Saturday. From what I hear it's been disappointing so far this year. They usually crank up in July but everything's late this year. And water levels were just too high for good dry fly fishing. But it's August and water levels are finally dropping, so I'd expect it'll pick up. They are tiny (size 24ish) but can be in incredible abundance and give you a phenomenal 30 minutes or so as the sun breaks through morning fog. If not sunny, then usually it's slower action for a longer period from daybreak right up till lunchtime.

Also take note that the New Zealand Mud snail is an invasive that has just absolutely infested Spring Creek. Wash your stuff well when you leave, especially if you are going elsewhere anytime soon.

pcray1231 wrote:

Also take note that the New Zealand Mud snail is an invasive that has just absolutely infested Spring Creek. Wash your stuff well when you leave, especially if you are going elsewhere anytime soon.

+100 on this. They were all through the bottom of my waders the last time I fished Spring. If you're not looking for them, you dismiss them as grains of sand, so I'm pessimistic that they haven't already been spread many other places. At least by cleaning your gear, you slow their spread and you're not the responsible party for spreading them to another watershed.

Yeah, I'm pretty pessimistic as well. Either they can thrive in other streams, or they can't. But I don't pretend that we spend much chance at preventing them from having the opportunity. Spring is a destination stream in close proximity to other destination streams. Guys make multiple day fishing trips to the area and fish a large number of streams back to back to back. Many are connected to one another by water, even if the route is fairly roundabout. And birds travel back and forth as well.

Still, you don't want to be the dude responsible for it.

Thanks to everyone for great advice, very appreciative. I certainly will be sure to wash down my boots after. Would be our 1st trico so hopefully we will get lucky but most important will be getting out with my son who has taken to this sport so well. This was the 1st season he had fished exclusively with the fly rod.

Tight lines everyone!
John

John:

Here are some detailed locations/spots on Spring Creek that you can try. Note: Most folks fishing Spring Creek know about these spots, so not really giving anything away. Note: If fishing on the weekend, there will be people in many of the holes listed below.

Just head about a mile east of the dorms on E. College Avenue. You'll cross Spring Creek, and there will be a Sheetz on the right. At that light, make a left onto Houserville, Road which parallels Spring Creek. Continue on Houserville Road you'll cross over Spring Creek and come to a stop sign.

Make a left at the stop sign (now Rock Road) and go up the hill and down the hill and under I-99 (will be a high bridge over the creek). This should be stop #1 to fish.

Continue down Rock Road until you see an old green iron bridge on the right going over Spring Creek. This bridge has a gate on it and is the back entrance to Benner Spring. This should be stop #2 to fish. Fish downstream of the little dam there. Fishing is better downstream than upstream (due to the silt on the upstream portion).

Continue up the big hill on Rock Road, until you come to Barnes Lane, will be first road to right. This is one of the old prison roads. It's paved. Go about 2 miles. You'll see some prison orchards on the right, a few houses and fields on the left. Lots of game (bears, turkeys, deer up there). Keep going, and you'll drop off the hill and come to a concrete bridge. Park there. Stop #3. Fish upstream about 1/2 mile to the bottom of Fisherman's Paradise Fish Hatchery. This is a really nice section of water with lots of springs and trout.

For stop #4, make a right at the concrete bridge and head around the bend, keep going. Go about 1/2 mile (if that) and you will see a fish commission parking lot on the right. Park there. There is a handicap ramp there as well. Jump in the stream and fish the far side upstream about 1/3 mile. There is a path along the one side, which you can walk down. Lots and lots of nice holes along the far side (left bank if fishing upstream). I believe Mark Antolosky owns the house next to the pond there. He used to, and may still guide/teach classes on Spring Creek. There used to be a small sign in his front yard advertising such. (I put this here so you have a landmark/reference).

Of course you could always go into Bellefonte and fish Logan Branch of Spring Creek. You can also try below the sewage plant in Bellefonte and hit up Spring Creek there. Don't laugh, the creek --- more like nice stream -- fishes really nice there. Can keep going downstream (by car) to the site of the old McCoy dam and fish up or downstream. There's a parking lot there on the left side if headed towards Milesburg from Bellefonte. Be sure to see the informational displays with pictures and descriptions of the old mill works and later electrical generation station.

In essence, what I am trying to say. The entire length of Spring Creek is loaded with wild browns. The population has rebounded after about a decade of decreased trout populations from siltation.
Most are in the 10-12 inch range. A few 14 or 15 inch wild browns around. Haven't heard of any wild browns being caught over 18 in the past few years. I guess there are exceptions. However, there are some hog wild rainbows (18 to 20 inches) in there. They are scattered throughout the drainage and you'll never know when you might get into one.

The above sites are just the more popular ones. Be sure to do some exploring. There's two fly shops on East College Avenue. First is TCO Outfitters located next to the Sheetz I mentioned above. Next is Fisherman's Paradise, just continue past TCO and after the next light, there is a road up the hill to the left. They are located in that little strip mall there. Talk to Steve Swensky, he's the local owner. Has owned the shop for about 37 years now.

Anyhow, hope you have fun. Let us know how you do/did?

Tight Lines,

John Coxey
(Altoona, PA)

Thanks John, this really helps

SirJohnny really gave you the grand tour of spring creek.
And in so doing, even managed to outpcray pcray IMO

He left out the whole rest of the creek, but who cares?

Hey Guys,

If I can tag on to this thread, I have two questions. I am heading to State College to see our son and catch a gameThis coming weekend.

Since I am going to be there all weekend figured I would try and get some fishing in. But I have two questions.

I plan on hitting Flyfisher's Paradise Friday afternoon once I get in.

1. (maybe dumb question) Is the first week of October good fishing?

2. Would a 3WT or 4WT rod be better? I also have a 5WT, but stream doesn't look that big.

Thanks in advanced

Either rod would work, if you like the 3 weight, it is enough.

sroach wrote:
But I have two questions.

1. (maybe dumb question) Is the first week of October good fishing?

2. Would a 3WT or 4WT rod be better? I also have a 5WT, but stream doesn't look that big.

1. Yes

2. All are fine - whatever your preference.

I'm heading up on Wednesday. Creeks are low, but we are finally getting rain. Actually, we might be getting a lot of rain. I was praying for rain, but didn't mean I wanted inches of rain. Yeah well, the rain is drastically needed even though it will affect my fishing.

Thanks Guys. appreciate the help.

@Troy, let me know how it looks goes.

Back