Sporting Gentleman Moving

englishprof

englishprof

Closing June 8th. Reopening end of June at 128 Glen Mills Road on banks of Chester Creek. Good move in my opinion. Love this place and Barry and Christine. Nice to see as so many other shops are closing

thats only 20 miles from me now - whats it like as a store, say compared to the Marblehead FlyFisher in Centerville or Orvis in Dowington ?

do they have some good feathers ?

cheers

Mark

If they don't have what ur looking for they will order it for you...I only have the best to say about the folks at sporting gentleman... They are responsible for the fly tying addiction I struggle with everyday...

I was talking to Christine this morning at SG and she said that SG is going to stock the creek and charge a nominal fee. I actually think this section of Chester Creek is nicer than the stocked sections. Maybe some of the land owners will open up access so the State will stock this section.

http://www.sportinggentleman.com

They were the first shop I contacted when I was brand new at this and looking for a particular book. Christine went above and beyond to help me. Since then they have become "my" go to shop despite the fact they are an hour south of me. Exceptional customer service. Can't wait to visit their new place.

geebee wrote:
thats only 20 miles from me now - whats it like as a store, say compared to the Marblehead FlyFisher in Centerville or Orvis in Dowington ?

do they have some good feathers ?

cheers

Mark

I do have to say this about the two stores is that if Terry dosent have something in stock he will order it for you but wants to charge you shipping for it which makes no sense to me because I can order some place else online and it gets shipped to my door.

That isn't the case with the sporting gentleman I order things threw them all the time without paying for shipping plus you get to use those fancy orvis 25 dollar off coupons

I am close to both shops [now will much closer to SG] and try to support both. I go to SG for Orvis stuff and to Terry's for Simms stuff.

Seems like a bad time of the year to move, given the fishing season is in full swing.

Chaz wrote:
Seems like a bad time of the year to move, given the fishing season is in full swing.

Not full swing around here Chaz. Except for one day in like the last 10 days was it warm. Feels like February not April. I think the move is perfect as I will no longer have to contend with the kids jumping off the RR bridge over Chester Creek. Not to mention walking through all the broken beer bottles in the section off Darlington Road.

fadeaway263 wrote:
I was talking to Christine this morning at SG and she said that SG is going to stock the creek and charge a nominal fee.

That should end well.

I’ve been a SG customer since the beginning days of the Baltimore Pike store and only wish them the best. Christine is a peach and even Barry has mellowed over the years.

However, being in downtown Media had its advantages although I am sure, ghastly rent. Even though I am nowhere even close to Media, I always made it a point to drop in when close by because Orange Street was easy to get to from the Blue Route. Glen Mills will require an effort, especially at rush hour.

I hope this move works out for them off the beaten path in the middle of nowhere at a non-destination stream, because it hasn’t for a lot of others who tried.

Good luck Sporting Gentleman!

it is a great shop IMHO. will check out the new place soon.

Hopefully they pick up on the Internet thing or this shop will someday close as well. I wish them well and will do my best to fight the hellish traffic to visit them at least once. I really hate traffic though.

poopdeck wrote:
I wish them well and will do my best to fight the hellish traffic to visit them at least once. I really hate traffic though.

Unfortunately with all the development and new housing planned for the Middletown/Lima area it will be a traffic nightmare getting to Glen Mills from points east & north in a few years as if it wasn't bad enough already.

Too bad SEPTA doesn't run trains to Glen Mills anymore...

While picking up some tying supplies the other week I've heard a whisper of a website revamp...but that's just the rumor mill...it will be nice to grab some tying supplies and fish their stocked trout water or go a little bit further downstream and stalk some smallmouths
The traffic can be a rough if you stick to the main roads but there are pleanty ways around that if you hit the back roads

that's a little further for me,but i do love the sporting gentleman.

Back