Spool Care

Baron

Baron

So, wise guy that I am, I took advantage of some sales to buy a variety of tippet that I normally stock. What I didn't realize is that some brands don't snap together like many of the others. Until I get a rotary thingy dingy tippet dispenser I was forced to improvise. Here is how I keep them together: used produce rubber bands from Wegmans or Giant and an old Ace pen barrel sliced in half.

Attachments

• IMG_6273.jpeg
    IMG_6273.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6272.jpeg
    IMG_6272.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 2
**LIKE**

Great ingenuity and frugality! Do the tippet spools spin freely?

Yes, freely. there is no charge, lol.

They don't spin because the bands are too tight.
Millsertime wrote:
**LIKE**

Great ingenuity and frugality! Do the tippet spools spin freely?

Millsertime, where did you catch the Grayling in you avatar?

Delta Clearwater River - Delta Junction Alaska

Amazing grayling spring fed river. Consistent hatches daily in the summer.

Baron:

I'm not knocking your very clever idea BUT, rubber bands are made of latex and are VERY susceptible to ozone cracking in the sun, and drying out with heat, especially when stretched. That means if you aren't careful and and don't check them frequently, you may lose your tippet spools.

So either replace them frequently or use something else.

BTW - You inadvertently discovered the reason why you should NEVER buy a tippet spool holder for a specific sized tippet spool or a bag that has pockets for tippet spools unless those pockets are BIG; the spool sizes are all different and change ALL THE TIME, even among the same manufacturer.

Yes indeed. My new Snooky Deluxe universal spool holder is due to arrive Monday. This was a Temporary invention to help clean up my pack. It worked very well but I won't need it after next week.

Back