Spooky Sighter?

L

LongLineRelease

The last year or so I have been trying to use a one leader system consisting of a standard butt and a taper made out of hi viz mono like Stren Gold or Berkely Fl. Green. I then change the tip based on whether I'm fishing dries, wets, nymphs, or streamers. I use the Hi viz tapered section as a sighter not just for nymphing but alo for tiny dries and fishig wets upstream. My question is, do any of you think the close proximity of the sighter to the nearest fly is spooking any fish? When i fish wets, the first fly is only about two feet from the sighter. When I fish dries, the fly it might be as close as three feet from it.

If that's the only leader you are using. Yes I do think that in low water conditions that it is spooking the fish. When the water is higher and off color no, I think you're ok there.

Some people claim that just moving down one tippet size can make all the difference, so adding color to that in low water conditions should too. But I can't say for sure.

I'm sure it's a possibility.

There's a difference between seeing the line and simply not biting. Speaking of broad generalities here, but IMO if you see the fish actually spook, he may be seeing that sighter. If they're just ignoring it, or you are getting refusals, that's probably just drag, which has nothing to do with the colored line.

interesting topic, i never thought of a sighter being an issue. i use a furrled bright orange sighter and it has never spooked a fish, possibly because my fly is at least 7 ft and up to 12 feet away from the sighter? hope this helps.

I would have to say move the sighter section back a section or two on the tapered leader , towards the butt. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the good replies. I've actually caught fish with only a few feet from the sighter to the fly, but I'm not sure it always works.

I've been fishing with what we now call sighters since the mid-70's and I can honestly say I can't remember any trout being spooked by the sighter. I've sight-fished to larger trout in skinny water and never had a problem.

Back