Splite Bamboo blanks

buckmaster

buckmaster

Does anyone know the best place to buy splite bamboo blanks. I've been building some other rods and now would like to try my hand at a splite bamboo. I'm thinking of a 6 or 7 foot, 3wt. And any tips on building a splite bamboo rod would really help.

It all depends on your price range. You can pick up a whole bamboo building kit on Ebay for around $150. I have built these kits and must say they aren't to bad. There are also many builders out there that sell there blanks for much more money. My suggestion would be to go to this website and post there. That's all they do.

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/index.php

Thanks for the info. I'll give them a try. I don't want to spend to much on the first one. Do you have any advice on bamboo builds, or do I just do the same as a graphite? Any tips would help. Thanks, Mike

Try these guys:

Hook & Hackle

They're in PA, and will give all the advise you need.

Do you have any advice on bamboo builds, or do I just do the same as a graphite?

Depends on the level of completion of the blank you buy.

You can buy cane blanks that are just the six basic strips that have been planed and glued together and thats all that's been done.

Or you can by a semi finished blank with ferrules installed, possibily impregnated so you won't have to varnish the rod, and from that stage it'll be very similar to building out a graphite/glass blank. Expect to pay more for a semifinished blank.

So, there are lots of options out there depending upon how much you wanna do yourself. I picked up a nice little 7'/4wt that's been turned for ferrules and has the grip installed and that's it. I'm gonna need to straighten the blank, fit and install the ferrules and reel seat, then wrap the guides and decided what sort of finish I'd like to apply to the rod, varnish or tung oil or..?.. I still need to gather up the parts to finish the rod, hopefully after the holidaze, and then maybe I'll be fishing it by next spring...

Theanglersroost.com

I have a book called A masters guide to building a bamboo rod by Everett Garrison copyright 1977. I believe you will get more use from it than I will, I bought it with some other things about 17 years ago. I'd like to give it to you. If you wish, pm me your address and I'll send it to you. Jack

And any tips on building a splite bamboo rod would really help.
Do not use a generic algorithm for guide placement, rather use this method to determine what the individual blank you have wants.

http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/staticguide.html

Once you do, you'll be amazed at what you learn.

"I have a book called A masters guide to building a bamboo rod by Everett Garrison copyright 1977."

This is widely considered the book for bamboo rods, they fetch a fair price when sold. Would love to have one in my collection.

I have Hand-Crafting Bamboo Fly Rods by Wayne Cattanach which is also considered the go to guide to building bamboo rods.

Thanks for the book. My address is Michael Barr. 860 Harmon Rd Creekside, Pa. 15732

beerbyrnes wrote:

This is widely considered the book for bamboo rods, they fetch a fair price when sold. Would love to have one in my collection.
I doubt this will be the case for it is not a first edition, I'll send it out tomorrow to you.Let me know what you think of the book. Post us a pic of the finished rod we want to see your new toy! Jack

Jack, thanks for the book. Vary nice. Hard back too! I don't know what it cost new, but I would like to give you something for it. This book may be worth more than you payed for it and worth even more in the future. Please let me know. Thanks, Mike

Long story short, I ran into Pat purdy( wife of Albert Purdy) from Cold Spring NY. at the outlets in Pa. a long time ago, we started talking flyfishing, she informs me that her husband who had passed god rest his soul has all this fly fishing/tying stuff in the bsmt. and she don't know what to do with it. Naturally I came up with an idea. About three months later I'm at Pats house She tells me anything he had open I could have, And everything else 40-60% off!!!!!!! I go down stairs to find a fly shop a large flyshop There were pics of Albert and all the old school catskill guys at his tying table drinking and tying it was so cool, for the longest time I just sat there and daydreamed. I spent alot of money that weekend so the book was very cheap. I don't know how famous Albert was but he hung with some big time people. Pat and I became good friends and several more trips after happened. Her wedding present to me was Al's canoe which I still use today. Wonderful woman. All I expect from you is the fact that it will help you with your rod, and a pic when you're done I hope it helps you. Jack

Back