Split shot placement?

semperfish

semperfish

Attached picture is a couple of streamers I'm planning on using this coming spring/summer (it's only December !!!! Feels like it's gonna be a looooong wait!!!).
My plan is to use them on a 9' 6X fluoro leader (fluoro for stealth, abrasion resistance and sinking characteristics). If they don't get down into the water column deep enough, I've heard of adding a tiny split shot. Question is: Where along my tippet do I place the ss without affecting the natural presentation? Bead-head wooly buggers and the like essentially have a split shot (the bead head) on the fly. So, do I pinch on a splitshot at the eye of the hook or move it up 6"? 12"? 24"? I'm thinking that may be a function of how fast or deep the water is. I'll experiment, but I'd like to hear from the voice of experience.
Looking for input...Thanks.

Attachments

• streamers.jpg
    streamers.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 9
You're right.It depends where you want your fly in the water, how deep is the water, and what is the current like... Mostly trial and error IMO.

semperfish wrote:
Attached picture is a couple of streamers I'm planning on using this coming spring/summer (it's only December !!!! Feels like it's gonna be a looooong wait!!!).
My plan is to use them on a 9' 6X fluoro leader (fluoro for stealth, abrasion resistance and sinking characteristics). If they don't get down into the water column deep enough, I've heard of adding a tiny split shot. Question is: Where along my tippet do I place the ss without affecting the natural presentation? Bead-head wooly buggers and the like essentially have a split shot (the bead head) on the fly. So, do I pinch on a splitshot at the eye of the hook or move it up 6"? 12"? 24"? I'm thinking that may be a function of how fast or deep the water is. I'll experiment, but I'd like to hear from the voice of experience.
Looking for input...Thanks.

One mistake I often see is FFers using tippet way too light for the flies they choose. A 6x tippet should never be used for streamers. The end result will be a lost fly on the cast or a lost fish on the set. 3x would be more appropriate for those flies. The flies are stripped and move in the water, so the stiffness of your tippet making the fly act unnaturally is not a factor, and a light tippet will not be any less visible to the fish.

You can add splitshot pinched next to the eye of the fly, which gives the fly a more jigging effect, or you can move it up the tippet a ways. Try different ways and let the fish decide.

Sometimes when I'm fishing with 5X I'll put a streamer on without changing to 4X cause I'm being lazy. Just did that a couple weeks ago and bam, there's a nice fish and a broken tippet. Agree with what was said about 6X being too light for streamers. 3X or 4X would be more appropriate.

If you plan to swing or strip streamers, I suggest a short, heavy leader to turn over big heavy flies and to withstand the impact of a trout slamming a streamer. I use a 7.5' 2x leader, you could get away with 3x. I also use florocarbon tippet. Brass or tungston cones tied into the fly are a great way to add weight to the fly so you won't need split shot. If you need to add weight while on the water, adding split shot about a foot up the leader is one way to go. I weight the fly and keep addional cone heads with me so I can add weight when I need it. I use the cones like bullet wights, just slip the cone on before tying on the streamer. All you'll need on most PA waters is the tungston cone. If fishing bigger deeper water, try a sinking leader or sink tip.

I agree with the above...6x is too light for streamer fishing. The fly will be hard to cast and you'll constantly be risking break offs on the hookset given the aggressive nature of how a fish generally takes a streamer. A leader tapered to 3x is probably about ideal for Trout. Sometimes if I don't know if I'll be fishing dries, nymphs, or streamers I'll be lazy and just tie on 4x and be done with it for the day, so 4x is probably passable in a pinch too. I wouldn't go any lighter though. For Bass I just use a length of 10 lb mono at the end of the leader as tippet.

Another thing to consider...Streamers are generally easier to cast with shorter leaders. I like my total leader length (including tippet) to be in the 6-7 ft range. 9 ft is a bit long IMO. Drag usually isn't a big factor in the presentation of streamers (and sometimes can actually help) so you don't need a longer leader length to help prevent it.

Good advice from the others on split shot placement. Closer to the fly for a more active/jigging approach and further away (I like about 8-12 inches up from the fly) for an approach where you're trying to get the fly deeper but let it drift/bounce along the bottom with the current.

WOW! Looks like I was way off base with 6X. I guess I was focusing more on stealth than durability.
I have some 7' 3X leaders....that what I'll start with and add 3X or 2X tippet material as needed.
I'm glad I asked.
Thanks!

It was a good question, and a topic that doesn't get discussed a ton here. FWIW, I often find that in situations that require an especially stealthy approach (low, clear water for instance) streamers often do not fish very well, at least for trout. I think the reasoning for this is two fold...

1. Streamers are sometimes hard to cast and present delicately, and make a lot commotion when they enter the water. The splash of the streamer hitting the water often spooks fish in low/clear conditions.

2. I think when trout get a good look a streamer, they can easily tell it's not a natural food. Part of what makes streamers so effective is that when the fish only get a quick glance at something that could be food, they instinctively strike. This is better achieved by fishing streamers in higher, off color water or in areas of higher gradient where the water is at least somewhat broken and turbulent. One exception to this is when you're using a smaller streamer and just dead drifting it along the bottom...but then you're essentially just nymphing with a really big nymph!

Take the size of the fly into consideration when choosing tippet size, always. But most streamers aren't meant to be fished on anything as small as 6x, especially with split shot. You're right on the money starting with 3x and going from there. If the fish are spooked by the diameter of your leader, you may want to try a nymph or something with a smaller profile. I only say that because its most likely not even the leader spooking the fish, its more of a presentation/angler positioning problem. The orvis podcasts touch on this a bit I believe. But as far as split shot placement, I think 6 to 9 inches from the fly is standard. What's great about this sport is that you take standardized information from a place like this and learn how to adapt yourself and your technique to the present situation you face. That's why you'll read thousands of times that it is a constant learning experience. Challenge yourself to learn and once it pays off, the rewards will be really tough to put into words-that's when you show us pics of your trophy fish :lol:

Back