Spinning rod rating vs. Fly rod line weight rating...

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

How do these compare? I recently picked up a Fenwick River Runner 6'8" Ultra Light spinning rod rated for 2-6 pound monofilament line and rated for 1/32-3/16oz. lures. Where would this stand in the fly realm as far as rod weights are concerned? Thanks!

On a side note, there are some great reviews of this rod and they have a very nice half wells style grip reminiscent of fly rods.

Not sure you can compare it to a fly rod accurately. I fear the posts to follow. Cue gfen beatdown.

Oh I expect a beat down. No worries here. I just have to ask because I have been curious where the line ratings stack up against traditional spin fishing. If gfen decides to bust my stones, that's ok too..I have come to expect and respect that on this site. Any help with the original question would be helpful.

Big-Bass wrote:
How do these compare? 6'8" Ultra Light spinning rod rated for 2-6 pound monofilament line and rated for 1/32-3/16oz. lures. Where would this stand in the fly realm as far as rod weights are concerned?

Yeah, I agree - it's an apples to oranges situation.

However, I've built some short fly rods with spin rod blanks and think there's merit to fishing with spin gear from time to time in order to become a more proficient FFer.
So.....I think the spin rod you're describing would match a fly rod of about 7' for a 3WT line. In other words, it's a very light application suitable for fishing small streams for small trout or ponds for panfish on a day that isn't windy.

Run a line through the guides, let some out and see if it will false cast. Try different lengths out through the end. I've wondered the same thing, but haven't tried it. Let us know.

I am not trying to use the rod as a fly rod, I was just asking if an ultralight spinning equates to say a 3 weight, a 5 weight would be a spinning medium, a 7 weight a medium heavy, etc. That was all. It made me curious to think about because bass tackle has line ratings and designated actions where fly rods go my weight and flex.

I was thinking the same thing regarding using it in similar situations to a 3 weight.

Well the spinning rod is designed to throw 3/16oz. 3/16oz is .1875oz in decimal. An ounce to grains conversion yields 82.03125 grains. AFTMA line ratings says that a 2wts range is 76-84 grains. I'd say it compares to a 2wt.

For one, a fly rod is not designed to throw heavier lures. The weight is in the line. If you put that much weight on the end of the leader, and still use fly line, even a heavy fly rod won't throw as much as an ultra light spinning rod. If you get rid of the fly line, you could compare, but why? Wouldn't you be better served with a spinning rod at that point?

The mechanics of casting are so different that yeah, in regards to casting, it's apples to oranges.

That said, if you're more talking about WHERE it's appropriate, as in for what fish and in what locations, yeah, your 2 and 3 wts are kind of like the ultralights, a 4-6 wt is kinda like a medium action, and 7-9 is like a heavy rod. Above 9 wt and you're in ocean type gear range.

the direct answer is "no". the rod companies can't even use a standard when labeling rods, which is why some 5wt rods cast better with 6wt lines etc. ( channeling gfen on this one) So no you can't compare them, but yes it can be done. I have an old glass Light action spin rod converted to fly use.

Hello all,

I suggest that you go to the rodbuilder.org site for information on spinning rod blanks/fly rod blanks and all related sizing information. They have a wealth of info.

Take some time to read through the posts, the folks on that site are very knowledgeable and very friendly. Hope this helps.

PJ

http://rodbuilding.org/list.php?2

the real question is why even wonder this?

PS enjoy the out lash from Gfen

pcray1231 wrote:
For one, a fly rod is not designed to throw heavier lures...
No, you're wrong about this.
The "modern" Euro-nymphing rods are designed to throw "heavy" lures. And they're not designed for traditional overhead or side arm casting.
They are designed to be fished on a short flyline with a very long leader and tons of built in weight on the flies (or lures).
Most people who are Euro-nymphing are lobbing (not flycasting) way more than 1/32 - 3/16 oz. of "lures". And the flyline adds nothing to the cast.
The 12 foot 3wt rods that are so popular today are really nothing more than a 12 foot ultra light noodle rod.
So, I would say that any of the 3-4 wt Euro-nymphing specialty rods are equivalent to the original rod in question. And, you could do the exact same thing (albeit less effectively) with a long ultralight spinning rod.
Now, I'll await the bashing from pcray...

On a reverse note, about 20 years ago my Dad built my brothers and I spinning rods from 8'6" fly rod blanks. Those rods caught a lot of trout minnie fishing and salmon egging.

I would think you'd have much better success fishing a spinning rod made with a fly rod blank than you would fly fishing with a rod built from a spinning rod blank.

To answer your question, that ultralight spinning rod is probably the equivalent of a 3 weight in the fly fishing world.

Now, I'll await the bashing from pcray...

No bashing, merely pointing out that if you had completed my statement, I said that they weren't designed to throw heavy lures AND fly line.

Back