Spinners

F

fisherboy3

Just curious to as what you guys like to tie and fish for spinners? I usually use just a parachute or hackle wing, but there are so many. Cdc wing, poly wing, hackle wing list goes on. What do you guys like?

I usually use a cdc and poly wing mix. the cdc gives some extra float!

I normally use just a straight poly wing. I tie them up sort of like a parachute so they sit higher and are easier to see.

I really like wound grizzly hackle spinners down to about an 18 because I can see them. Clip the bottom and leave the top on and it will show up. The best March Brown spinner I use is the huge one from the Feathered Hook that have wound Coq de Leon hackles clipped at the bottom.

In synthetic stuff, I like J Stockard's siliconized polypropylene. Tying the wing in multiple clumps helps in keep its shape better. Two clumps for 22 through 18, 3 clumps for 16 and above.

I like Hi Vis combined with a wound hackle for my coffin flies. I tie the wings with a slight angle so they don't lie perfectly flat and come off the water a little. It helps me see them in the pitch black nights when the big guys come out.

Typically poly yarn (I like McFlyon) or a blend of fluoro fiber and cdc

Parachute tie with oversize hackle wings (grizzly, sometimes light dun or white).

I sometimes clip the hackle for and aft for a better wing profile. With bigger spinner patterns I gather the hackle and "figure 8" thread around them for a more compact wing silhouette.

I clip the parachute post short and sometimes use a bright color as the post for better visibility.

Here's a tip: I tie some with black posts for visibility at dusk/dark when there's often a reflection on the water.

Afish,
Never thought of that but thats a great idea. I typically tie normal parachute spinners and clip the front and back hackle at an angle, to make the sides look like splayed spent wings.

After initially using poly yarn for wings when I first started tying, I switched to antron. It holds it's shape better, and has a nice sheen to it, that you just don't get with poly.

I also tie what I call cut wing spinners - for use on picky fish. I make these out of a material called web wing, and tie them in spent. Makes a more realistic pattern.

This is my sulfur spinner. Used this last year at the Little J and other places. Worked very well. Zelon loop wings. Ginger CDC dubbing brush for hackle. This is the fly I'm tying for the dryfly swap.

GenCon

Attachments

• sulphur spinner.jpg
    sulphur spinner.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 5
Good looking fly. Two questions. Looping the wings. Any special trick? Do you trim the cdc bottom? I really like that fly.

Gencon,
That looks awesome

fisherboy3 wrote:
Gencon,
That looks awesome

+1

GenCon sucked me right into the swap with his spinner pattern. Looking forward to catching an evening rise on Spring, Penns or the Little J at Jam time with that fly in my box!

JohnPowers wrote:
Good looking fly. Two questions. Looping the wings. Any special trick? Do you trim the cdc bottom? I really like that fly.

John, no real trick, Wing is light dun zelon. This is a size 14. So I take a full strand of zelon. Divide it in 2. Comb it out to make smooth, pull out any errant strands. Fold it over a bodkin. Tie loop on top of hook
with loop pointing up. Tie in tail, dub body add one or 2 wraps of dubbing in front of loop to force it up. Divide wing pull towards tail. Tie in dubbing brush, about 1 1/2 turns against wing to hold it back.
Tie off head. I do not cut on bottom. It will lat flat on water. I do trim and strands of CDC that are too long.

GenCon

Your instruction did not explain when and how CDC is added to the pattern. Or, maybe I missed it. I would like to imitate this pattern, but seem to be missing that step.

JackM wrote:
Your instruction did not explain when and how CDC is added to the pattern. Or, maybe I missed it. I would like to imitate this pattern, but seem to be missing that step.

Gencon mentioned above he uses a ginger CDC dubbing brush for hackle.

It looks like a great spinner pattern. I plan to give it a whirl.

Attachments

• cdc dubbing brush.jpg
    cdc dubbing brush.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 4
JeffK wrote:
I really like wound grizzly hackle spinners down to about an 18 because I can see them. Clip the bottom and leave the top on and it will show up.

I also use wound hackle, clipped on the bottom, and with the top and sides left intact.

For spinners that have clear wings, such as sulphurs, I use pale dun hackle.

For Coffin Flies (Green Drake spinners) I use a mix of grizzly and light ginger.

JackM wrote:

afishinado wrote:
Gencon mentioned above he uses a ginger CDC dubbing brush for hackle.

It looks like a great spinner pattern. I plan to give it a whirl.

You got it.

GenCon

Sorry, but that's too much extrapolation.

Jack, for the hackle you can either make a CDC dubbing brush or use one that is pre made which is what I used here. Tie in then about 1 1/2 turns. I tie it on in a way that when I finish wrapping CDC most of the hackle is on top. Hope this helps.

GenCon

Understood for the next time I tie.

Back