Spinners

sandfly

sandfly

Just wondering what everyone ties for a B.W.O. spinner and the reason why ??

Not to often I fish spinner BwO patterns, but when I do I just clip the hackle on the top and bottom.

Sheesh I thought you was talkin' Mepps from the title ;)

When I first started tying flies many years ago, I figured an appropriately sized rusty spinner should work.
And not long afterward, I hit a nice BWO spinner fall on the little j.
These were the large ones - Drunella genus. And I could hardly catch a fish matching them them with those rusty spinners.
So, I caught a few specimens, and examined them closely. And I found out that their bodies were a distinct olive grayish/brown color.
So, I went back to the vise - and tied some with an olive cast.
It has now been a good 25 years or more since that happened. And I haven't hit a good BWO spinner fall since, to give them a try on.

was wondering if anyone knew that they were a gray/black to olive/black in color. also did you know that they dive/crawl under the water to lay their eggs.

Attachments

• 6-27-2010 034 (400x300).jpg
    6-27-2010 034 (400x300).jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 4
Actually,I've encountered two color phases. I first encountered the dark spinners years ago on Little Pine Creek. I also encounter a lighter phase spinner during Drunella activity. This phase is a medium olive with a slight brown cast. I encounter this light phase on the water more frequently than I do the dark phase. I do my best to have both color phases with me when Drunellas are active.

Rusty spinner , don't you remember I kicked your butt with one on the LLH?

different bwo old fart..that was a paralep.

If we're talking Baetis olives, usually a softhackled spider or CDC winged fly with a rusty or dark olive body. These spinners swim under the water to lay eggs.

As far as the summer olives (Drunnelas) go, I've never been lucky enough to experience a spinner fall and don't carry anything. I guess if I had to come up with something on the water I'd just go with a rusty spinner.

Yes the dark spinners work well. I have done very well using them on Penns post-drake. Thanks to FF Paradise for turning me on to them.

Back