Spider patterns

W

Wet_Fly78

What are the thoughts of the more experienced anglers on this process. I tied a crap ton of partridge and orange, next is black and silver. Being new to tying and fly fishing, I am finding spiders can build skills for tying more advanced flies. I am seriously considering of researching all the spider patterns I can, and only fishing spiders. Thoughts?

I am seriously considering of researching all the spider patterns I can, and only fishing spiders. Thoughts?
I fish spiders or flymphs about 80% of the time. You'll do well, but be aware that there are a few occasions when they don't work - sometimes a dry or streamer is needed.

This is the time of year where fishing spiders, soft hackles and/or flymphs really starts to produce. The bugs are starting to move, the water temps are up into the 50’s and the fish are looking up in the water column. I love fishing wet flies and find it a totally enjoyable and relaxing way to fish. However, I don’t think I would paint myself in a corner by committing to only fishing them. Other techniques certainly can outperform fishing wets at certain times.

Other techniques certainly can outperform fishing wets at certain times.
Bear in mind that soft hackles can be fished as nymphs by adding shot, or, when tied on light wire hooks and treated with floatant, fished as dries. There is no one technique for fishing them.

What are the thoughts of the more experienced anglers on this process. I tied a crap ton of partridge and orange, next is black and silver. Being new to tying and fly fishing, I am finding spiders can build skills for tying more advanced flies. I am seriously considering of researching all the spider patterns I can, and only fishing spiders. Thoughts?
Tie some partridge and black, partridge and peacock herl, and partridge and olive, and partridge and cream. That'll cover a lot of hatches from now until almost July. I like to fish them pre-hatch and into the 1st stages of the hatch until you start to see visible rises to surface floating bugs. As stated above you can fish them a variety of ways.

@Wet_Fly78 I attended a presentation several years ago by a guy named John Shaner who really provided a great education on the use and history of Spider patterns. I'd certainly fished wet flies before, but I was amazed at the variety of spider patterns and the esoteric materials (many no longer legal) that were used in days of yore. John provided me with some written material afterwards, which I've attached to this post. I don't remember if he authored it or not, but it's a great source of additional info.

Attachments

• Spider Fly Resources 2017 Updated-PK2.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
Thanks for the PDF. I never heard of blending dubbing with water. Interesting and easy. I'll have to try it sometime.

Thank you Sgrim. I will definitely implement this. Right now, I am all thumbs with my fly tying. But getting better daily.

Back