Spey Help

W

wsender

So for anyone following, I won the Airflo Rage Compact Skagit Head
over on hatchmag.com . I just got a Spey rod this Fall and am really looking forward to using it, but admittedly, I know nothing about it. I can watch videos to figure out the casting and have a friend who does Spey as well too so I'm sure I'll get some on stream casting instruction from him as well too.

My main concern is the rigging. How does the rigging work from reel to fly? I know you need running line, and a shooting head, but what else is involved? Should I have backing? What kind of leaders?

Any info at all about Spey would be great! Thanks guys.

reel-->backing--> running line--> head-->tips--> leader--> fly

the rage head is a dry line
it will handle some polyleaders for tips...but you're not going to get out big flies

our cold waters are not going to be good for getting a fish to move up that far
not really useful for GL steelbows... it'd be a good smallmouth head

So what exactly are the 'tips' and what do they do?

Also, the head floats why wouldn't it be any less suitable for Steelhead then fly fishing with regular floating line?

tips are either polyleaders or sink tips

polyleaders are a tapered sinking leader

sink tips can be tapered or level
Tapered- referred to as "type" (Type III, type VI, ect)
higher the "type" the faster the sink rate

level- referred to at T-number (T-8, T-11, T-14)
these are tungsten (T) impregnated lines
the number refers to the grains per foot

a tip is used to help keep your fly down in the swing when the current wants to push it up

everything is spey casting is taper
thickest at the rod tip then decreasing to the fly

so your head dictates your tip which dictates your fly
and the same in reverse
certain flies can only be turned over by certain tips that can only be turned by certain heads

So based on that head, what would be a descent sink tip to start with?

And then what should I use for a leader from the tip to the fly, straight mono and how long?

with the rage head?
a floating tip or polyleader

the front taper is not build for turning over heavy tips and heavy flies

floater- leader should be tapered and the length of your rod
this is for dry flies and skaters

polyleader- level leader 4-6 ft
for unweighted wets

wsender wrote:

And then what should I use for a leader from the tip to the fly, straight mono and how long?

wsender --

Follow the link in the contest article to the line designer's thoughts on the line. It describes some good uses for that line. As ramcatt mentioned, that head is a floating head and is designed for either floating/skating flies or relatively light sinking polyleaders. These will suit you in shallow water where you're really not trying to fish the fly too deep.

I would consider fishing it in shallow water conditions on the Salmon River for instance, but it isn't going to let you swing big flies through holding water -- it's not designed for that.

That head is more of a specialty head and isn't an everyday head. For your typical swinging line sink tip presentation you'll want a normal skagit head.

What rod do you have? Specifically what size? You're going to want to match the grain of the head to the weight/length of the rod properly. Then you just need a collection of tips. T-11 in 7 and 10 foot will do you well to start. Once you know what you're doing well enough to think you need other tips, you can look at making up T-8 and T-14 tips, but man you need some crazy water for T-14.

greenlander wrote:
wsender wrote:

wsender --

Follow the link in the contest article to the line designer's thoughts on the line. It describes some good uses for that line. As ramcatt mentioned, that head is a floating head and is designed for either floating/skating flies or relatively light sinking polyleaders. These will suit you in shallow water where you're really not trying to fish the fly too deep.

I would consider fishing it in shallow water conditions on the Salmon River for instance, but it isn't going to let you swing big flies through holding water -- it's not designed for that.

That head is more of a specialty head and isn't an everyday head. For your typical swinging line sink tip presentation you'll want a normal skagit head.

What rod do you have? Specifically what size? You're going to want to match the grain of the head to the weight/length of the rod properly. Then you just need a collection of tips. T-11 in 7 and 10 foot will do you well to start. Once you know what you're doing well enough to think you need other tips, you can look at making up T-8 and T-14 tips, but man you need some crazy water for T-14.

Thanks for the advice. I have a Lefty Pro 12'6'' 6wt rod. So what grain of head should I get for the most general purpose swinging?

Also, a T-11 tip is a sinking tip, correct?

that rod handles a 440/450 skagit

Will, when you get a chance go to malindas in altmar. Try to stop in midweek or during non busy hours and she is a great resource for information. Spey fishing when done properly is completely different then regular fly fishing. Most of the ppl fishing the salmon are just "swinging" a lining device the is flossing fish and not a lot at that. Get your t sections as 1 long piece and build yourself a couple diff heads, its cheap that way. Also if you can splurge on a guide to teach you to start out it will make the world of difference send me a pm if you need a recommendation. I'd gladly help but I don't have the patience for spey fishing. 4.5 hrs each way the pin is coming out although maybe the switch or fly rod may make an appearance this winter. Good luck

Tilt

wsender wrote:
Also, a T-11 tip is a sinking tip, correct?

T-11.

T = Tungsten.
11 = 11 grains of weight per foot.

Back