spey fly

sandfly

sandfly

here is one i use on western NY. waters;

Attachments

• 8-31-11 spey 003.jpg
    8-31-11 spey 003.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 16
I thought I told you to make the tag short,its a litle too long.

coming from a guy who has never tied a salmon fly in his life...

HA!

Educate us please,Sandfly.
What is the difference between spey flys and Jock Scott types.

jock scott are full dressed flies salmon style, and speys are a shrimp imitation type of salmon fly.

Thanks-figured it was the less dressing.Just wanted to check-nice flies.

spey style flies are so much more than that, they usually have long flowing hackles, formerly a spey #OOPS# hackle spey #OOPS# is all extinct now, then heron was used is banned here in the states but still ok over seas, currently blue eared pheasant is the preferred feather for the hackle, but burnt goose shoulder feathers,Ringneck Pheasant rump feathers, Marabou,Schlappen, Coque feathers,Mallard flank, teal flank, Merganser Flank, guinea feathers, and all thses feathers can be dyed in various colors ,bleached and dyed ect.
The hackle usually starts at the second turn of ribbing and follows the ribbing usually bound by a wire or narrow tinsel counter wrapped for durability. the Spey flie also has a difference with the wing, The wing is usually tented made from Bronze mallard, but not limited to mallard and the wing is kind of tented although not like a caddis fly. Wings are also constructed from various style of feathers and methods..... such as Feather tips ala Syd Glasso the Legend of the Pacific Northwest,and also the tyer who single handedly reintroduced the spey fly into vogue and also his signature wing style.then theres strip wings sometime solid ,usually strip wings have different colors made from white turkey dyed various colors or shades, also swan can be used as well as wild turkey tails or peacock secondary feathers.
The new spey styles can have hackle palmered or wrapped from the end of the fly or just in the upper third half of the fly .
Other style that gets wrongfully confused is a DEE fly , difference between the Spey and the Dee is that the dee has a wing that is tied in forming a V shape and both styles originally were tied sparse with whatever materials the tyer had at their disposal ,hence both styles are From Scotland ..thus being scotch fits here.Any dubbing was usually berlin wool . Hope this clears up the spey for ya.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace
Sandfly{Bob} this fly is very fishable,is that Mallard for the wing tied bunch style?

Yeah I tied it in a small bunch for a different effect.

RAMCATT read your history they imitate the prawn (SHRIMP).

Ron Lucas writes:
When we use Spey flies, we are usually attempting to imitate any of several Crustaceans, aquatic insects or, just putting something "buggy" in front of Salmon and/or Steelhead. In "the salt" these fish feed on many things including shrimp and, small fish. It isn't any coincidence that many Spey Flies have a distinctive shrimp like appearance to them. These flies often require long, soft barbed hackle to imitate the legs, pincers and antennae of shrimp.

some spey flies are designed to imitate shrimp/prawns... some aren't
read your own quote

your initial distinction between classic/full dress salmon flies vs speys is incorrect

the original fly you posted had no resemblance to a prawn, shrimp, or anything other than a bait fish

the ??? was not about my fly but spey vs. classic salmon flys if you read it right. how do you what it imitates any how ?? Its a spey style of fly thats all...never said my fly was a shrimp fly.. most tyers of spey do imitate prawns when they tie them...go play with letaras..

your just as fun as Letarass... and just a bit less annoying

you called this thread "spey fly"
the question was "What is the difference between spey flys and Jock Scott types."
you said "...speys are a shrimp imitation type of salmon fly"
i was just correcting that false statement

I think both of you guys tie awesome flies. Ramcatt can you post one of your sweeeeeet lookin Spey flies? I just like looking at them. I also like sandfly's, because they're more old fashioned looking.

TUNA wrote:
I also like sandfly's, because they're more old fashioned looking.

Ouch!

I think the term you're looking for is "timeless," or perhaps "classic."

I still love ya, Sandy, and your [d]old[/d]classic ways. ;-)

Timeless is much better, I agree.

sandy,

Are you using flank for the wing?

not on this one if I did it would lay flatter. i used mallard breast.

TUNA wrote:
Timeless is much better, I agree.

Too late, you already called him old. Next you'll be saying he's quaint.

coming from a guy who's name is Gfemme'........lol............

Back