Spey Fishing PA

717Spey

Hello,

Was curious if anyone on the forum was tossing feathers around with a Spey set -up?

I know it isn't needed in PA, but it is great fun and I've slowly taken to incorporating it into half my fishing. Spey fishing the Susquehanna for Smallmouth makes it worth it alone.

I'm about to get a Trout Spey set-up and included it in that other half also.

Anyone else doing the same?

I think this has merit. Spey for Pike and Musky! Congratulations for trying something new and unique.

I have a buddy that trout speys on the yough, I'd like to give it a try sometime. I bet swinging for smallies is a real good time too!

Spey for Pike and Musky!

I was thinking the same thing! :pint:

Has anyone tried this?

Would it work with a 9' 11 Wt with a 4" butt extension (11'4" Clearwater Musky)?

I certainly have tried spey fishing the Susquehanna for Musky. Nothing huge yet but have gotten a few 25+ fish.
I think a 9' 11wt would be too short and too heavy though.

Currently I am swinging a 13'6" 8wt for Musky and an 11'7" 5/6/7wt for Bass. As far as length for the Susquehanna the sky is the limit really. I find Spey fishing on lakes to be a huge advantage too while wade fishing.

You guys should try experimenting with Rio iMow tips on your regular set ups. You can do amazing things with them in terms of depths and presentations without adding too much grain weight to your line.
What is wonderful is if you fish a 5/6wt rod, just use a 5wt line with the added iMow tip. it wont cast much different than before.

Hey man -

I've got a spey rod but haven't used it much yet... I've been wanting to take it out on the Susky for smallies at some point this year. Any chance you'd want to meet up sometime?

I have an 11' 6 weight I use to swing streamers on the Lehigh River. I only use it in the fall. Fun to use but I could likely catch more fish with my 9' 5 wt as I could fish streamers, nymph, and toss dries. I don't want to bring 2 rods fishing bc when I'm swinging streamers with a spey rod, I'm constantly moving downriver putting on a lot of miles.

Possible raftman, ill keep it in mind.

Millers,

Why not just change spools?
https://youtu.be/4x2RuHELQhQ

A major misconception is you cant fish dry flies with a spey set up.

I still am intrigued. Wonderful, this is what makes my day. Go one step beyond. Then a little bit more! Congratulations on your vision.

Wished i had that vision.

Good Musky spot, where i went. Cannon Hole, Montoursville pa., The cliffs above Muncy Pa., Montgomery Boat Club, Montgomery Pa. The wall, Shamokin Dam.

I would think a 48 incher awaits but a 50 incher, puts you in the Husky Musky Club. Not many in this elite club! But not many, if any fished your style! You can do it Bro!

With that i will direct you to St. Lawrence River, if you get there, Muskies are waiting, Big one's. Toothy bastards that look like dinosaurers.

If you get to St. Lawrence, Kingston is only a hop , skip, jump. Spent all my money there. Dancers. But remember, 3 jails there!

Great topic! After becoming addicted to the two-handed rods swinging flies on the tribs for steelhead I decided to expand into the trout spey world several years ago. I enjoy casting and swinging flies on a two hander so much that, these days, it's about all I use. I haven't really fished with anything but a two hander in well over a year. The more I've gotten into it, the more I've realized that it doesn't just apply to big water. There are any number of steams in the state that can be effectively fished using a light two hander. 717, I'm curious what waters you are planning on fishing and what kind of trout spey setup you are considering...

I really like the idea of the Meiser Conversion Rods. 2 quality rods at different set-ups for a little more than the price of one.
Thinking about the TM10126-3/4.
10' 3wt for small waters
12'6" 4wt for larger.

I should be able to pull the trigger next winter, as they are expensive.

Which waters? Virtually everything but small mountain freestoners.
Lackawanna, Lehigh River, Ltl Schuylkill, etc...
I've even speyed Big Spring.

What line systems are you using?
I really like the Rio Versi Tips/Shooting heads w/ Metered line. Though lately I have been considering a integrated line to eliminate all the loop to loop connections.

Lol, that sounds just like me! I live in Western PA and I use my two handers just about everywhere except the small mountain Brookie streams. I have a several trout speys. I use scandi lines from 300 grains down to 180 grains on all of them. For the most part I use 10 foot Polyleaders as my tips and on my 1wt(180 grain scandi) I use the 5 foot Polys, although I've found that it will cast the 10 foot tips with no problem. I swing average size beadhead wooly buggers in the spring and, as the water warms up some I swing a lot of soft hackle wet flies.

You can never go wrong with a Meiser but, another rod that you might want to look at as an all around setup is the Anderson Custom Rods Nova 2 series of trout spey. I picked one up a couple years ago(11 foot 3 weight) and I think it's a great rod. As an all around rod I would probably recommend a 11 foot 4 wt. Last I knew, the rods were abouit $500 and that included a line of your choosing. Having said that, there are a number of really great rods out there at all price points. You really can't go wrong no matter what you choose! Also, your comment about an integrated line is spot on. I have two looped heads and two integrated lines and I greatly prefer the integrated because the loops don't pass through the smaller guides on a trout spey as well as they do on a larger rod. Good luck with whatever you choose, maybe I'll run into you on one of the steams someday. Tight Lines!

Lol, that sounds just like me! I live in Western PA and I use my two handers just about everywhere except the small mountain Brookie streams. I have a several trout speys. I use scandi lines from 300 grains down to 180 grains on all of them. For the most part I use 10 foot Polyleaders as my tips and on my 1wt(180 grain scandi) I use the 5 foot Polys, although I've found that it will cast the 10 foot tips with no problem. I swing average size beadhead wooly buggers in the spring and, as the water warms up some I swing a lot of soft hackle wet flies.

You can never go wrong with a Meiser but, another rod that you might want to look at as an all around setup is the Anderson Custom Rods Nova 2 series of trout spey. I picked one up a couple years ago(11 foot 3 weight) and I think it's a great rod. As an all around rod I would probably recommend a 11 foot 4 wt. Last I knew, the rods were abouit $500 and that included a line of your choosing. Having said that, there are a number of really great rods out there at all price points. You really can't go wrong no matter what you choose! Also, your comment about an integrated line is spot on. I have two looped heads and two integrated lines and I greatly prefer the integrated because the loops don't pass through the smaller guides on a trout spey as well as they do on a larger rod. Good luck with whatever you choose, maybe I'll run into you on one of the steams someday. Tight Lines!

Hey thanks a lot!
Ill take a look at that rod and also you convinced me to try an integrated line as my next line purchase.

Not sure how I managed a double post...

The line I got for the 1 weight is a Scientific Anglers Spey Lite integrated Scandi. I really like it a lot. I believe they also make the line in a Skagit if that's your preference. Best wishes!

I haVe a 4 wt Spey rod I got for smallies and to target some coastal fish up in CT (there’s a small fishery for sea run browns, coaster brookies, and reportedly bows as well). They typically stay near the estuary mouths due to predation pressure from striped bass and bluefish). I meant to spend some time up there on this the past year but Covid... anyways, the last time I was up on the little J it occurred to me that it’d be an ideal setup for those long glides and pools. Next time....

I'm not sure why this thread got moved to "Tips and Tricks" but...

I've found both the Little J and Penns to be excellent swinging streams. I live in Western PA and have quite a lot of good swinging streams within a couple hours drive. Unfortunately, I rarely have time to make it out to the Little J or Penns. I hope to change that this year.

That's pretty cool about the sea run browns and brookies up in New England. I hope you are able to get into a few. Tight Lines!

PAFLYBOY wrote:
I'm not sure why this thread got moved to "Tips and Tricks" but...

I've found both the Little J and Penns to be excellent swinging streams. I live in Western PA and have quite a lot of good swinging streams within a couple hours drive. Unfortunately, I rarely have time to make it out to the Little J or Penns. I hope to change that this year.

That's pretty cool about the sea run browns and brookies up in New England. I hope you are able to get into a few. Tight Lines!

I agree this is not a "Tips and Tricks" topic.

I'll move it the the "Gear forum" shortly.

Love me some two handed rods and skagit casting. It's my favorite way to swing wets and streamers. I've found that I've migrated away from the longer trout speys and do much more single hand skagit stuff with either a 7'6" 4 wt Butterstick, Epic 686 or Helios 10' 6wt. Sometimes I'll use a 9' 5wt single that I converted to a two hander. With that little Butterstick no stream is too small.

Back