Spawning

J

jsb95

I live near a private section of a stocked creek. This lower section gets very marginal in the summer, even though it’s a spring influenced creek. I’m fairly certain 99% of stocked fish don’t make it. In the middle/ upper sections, wild brown reproduction is present. Lower section has a robust fallfish population. Some sunnies and small rock bass, but no real SMB population.

Each fall I’ve seen a few reds in Oct/ Nov. Very clear in the usual spots near riffles/ runs. I’ve not yet spotted fish on the reds, though I’ve observed the reds late in the season to be honest.

Here’s the question. Are these from spawning trout, or some other species? I’ve read that fallfish are spring spawners. Would a wild brown ever swim downstream to better habitat to spawn (e.g. cold water upstream in summer, dropping downstream to spawn and for winter). Obviously, downstream winter movement is well known, but I always thought that happens after an upstream spawning run.

I’m interested in this groups thoughts…
Lighting in the picture is not the best, but you get the idea.

IMG 0100

Fallfish (minnow species) are pebble mound builders, and yes they’re Spring spawners.
If you don’t get any high water events in late Spring to knock their mounds over you can find them throughout the Summer. Dinner plate to manhole cover sized, or bigger even, and some of the bigger ones may be a foot or more taller. They’re pretty obvious once you know what you’re looking for.

What you’re describing sounds like Trout redds for sure. Typically, Trout swim upstream to find spawning habitat, but who knows. What does that stream flow into (without revealing its location)? Any chance there’s some (even transient) wild Browns in the receiving stream that are migrating up to that location to spawn? That’d be my bet. Wild Browns turn up in low numbers seemingly almost anywhere, even in very, very marginal waters temperature wise. Basically the only places you don’t find them are places with water that’s too acidic. But, if they’re Fallfish and Sunfish species present, that water is fine for Brown Trout PH wise. Brown Trout have a better acidity tolerance than those species.

Obviously, downstream winter movement is well known, but I always thought that happens after an upstream spawning run.
I've seen redds in any area that holds trout throughout the year (or most of the year). I've also seen rather large congregations of spawning fish in areas that I would not consider "upstream" areas, but rather mid-river/watershed.

Fallfish (minnow species) are pebble mound builders, and yes they’re Spring spawners.
If you don’t get any high water events in late Spring to knock their mounds over you can find them throughout the Summer. Dinner plate to manhole cover sized, or bigger even, and some of the bigger ones may be a foot or more taller. They’re pretty obvious once you know what you’re looking for.

What you’re describing sounds like Trout redds for sure. Typically, Trout swim upstream to find spawning habitat, but who knows. What does that stream flow into (without revealing its location)? Any chance there’s some (even transient) wild Browns in the receiving stream that are migrating up to that location to spawn? That’d be my bet. Wild Browns turn up in low numbers seemingly almost anywhere, even in very, very marginal waters temperature wise. Basically the only places you don’t find them are places with water that’s too acidic. But, if they’re Fallfish and Sunfish species present, that water is fine for Brown Trout PH wise. Brown Trout have a better acidity tolerance than those species.

Flows into the Susquehanna… and there are some substantial dams downstream. Interesting idea

Flows into the Susquehanna… and there are some substantial dams downstream. Interesting idea
There’s definitely large, wild Brown Trout that use the Susky on a seasonal basis and wild Brown Trout populations in Susky tribs have been established by Browns moving around from trib to trib via the river. Definitely a possibility.

I am fortunate to have some very good limestone streams that are only minutes from my home. I walk along the streams every autumn and look for redds. We know that trout prefer a very specific size rock or gravel in which to make their redds. They also prefer sections of the stream where springs find there way through the stream bottom which may supply suitable temperatures to incubate the trout eggs. Of course, recognizing these redds when we see them is never enough to satisfy our curiosity, or maybe that’s just me. I have to see them on the redds. Nevertheless, I take care to stay clear of these spaces because with even the slightest possibility that these are indeed trout redds, these wild fish are precious and deserve every chance that we can give them.

Back