Span flex experience

S

Sylvaneous

Any one else try span flex for bodies? I've been using it on sulfur dries. The string yellow has ever so slight tinge of olive when it's stretched and wrapped. I'm super happy with it. It's super strong, like that micro tubing, so you can stretch it real thin. Tying in, Tying down and wrapping can be really sleek because you can stretch it so thin. Not hard to handle. Easy to cut. Translucent. Lower density than water. It has passed the fishing test (how many of our innovations at the vice utterly flopped the stream? )

Any one else try span flex for bodies? I've been using it on sulfur dries. The string yellow has ever so slight tinge of olive when it's stretched and wrapped. I'm super happy with it. It's super strong, like that micro tubing, so you can stretch it real thin. Tying in, Tying down and wrapping can be really sleek because you can stretch it so thin. Not hard to handle. Easy to cut. Translucent. Lower density than water. It has passed the fishing test (how many of our innovations at the vice utterly flopped the stream? )
Love spandex, lumaflex, span flex is great stuff for so many applications - it takes dye very well too - I’ve been using it since the mid 80’s for a host of fly tying goodies but never got a dry body - great idea! I’ll have to spin a few up. As for failures at the vise, enclosed picture is an emerald shiner pattern that hasn’t even turned a fish 🤣

Attachments

• 8A2C632F-1D31-4D8D-8A81-455B3EE14923.jpeg
    8A2C632F-1D31-4D8D-8A81-455B3EE14923.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 14
How does it hold up to fish? A lot of good tying materials get shredded after 1 trout.

How does it hold up to fish? A lot of good tying materials get shredded after 1 trout.
No sign of wear after, like 5 wild browns. I've used it for nymph legs and never saw wear there. Don't know which might wear more, wrapped body or legs. It's a tad more involved than just dubbing, but it has its advantages.

Love spandex, lumaflex, span flex is great stuff for so many applications - it takes dye very well too - I’ve been using it since the mid 80’s for a host of fly tying goodies but never got a dry body - great idea! I’ll have to spin a few up. As for failures at the vise, enclosed picture is an emerald shiner pattern that hasn’t even turned a fish 🤣
I can't see why that wouldn't work. Is that a thunderhead style? I couldn't see the head.

I have dabbled with SpanFlex and FlexiFloss. I like both of them but as with most things in fly tying, you can go down a rabbit hole when you start doing some snooping around. Both of these links will take you to some great info regarding these materials and some beautiful flies.

Mike Hogue

Don Bastian

Back