Soutwest Florida Fly Fishing

J

jpiccola

My Wife and I spend December though March in Southwest Florida south of Sarasota. I am an avid PA Fly fisherman, however, I am very new to the saltwater game. I have an 8 weight rod and saltwater setup. I tried once or twice to fish Snook from the beach with no success. Any recommendations on flies, guides, or locations in the Sarasota / Venice Florida area?

We’ve vacationed in Longboat Key for years in the summer months. Snook off the beach then was hit or miss. Always had good luck with small white flies - grassett minnows, and tan over white clousers. Early morning or late in the day.

I have found that the guys at The Compound over on Siesta Key are very helpful. Worth checking in with them.

I’ve hired a couple of guides there over the years, but no one that I would recommend. They were ok, but not great for various reasons. Part of it was not being one of their “regulars” I think played into it.

I go to Venice, which is in the Sarasota area, most February’s to visit friends. My personal experience is the saltwater fishing is not good and the surf fishing is even worse. My buddy says guides of good character don't book trips in the Venice area in February. I bait fish around the Jetty’s for sheepshead but mostly stick to freshwater bass fishing. Just watch the alligators, they like to eat the fish you hook.

The wife and I go down to the area north of there. Palmetto/Bradenton area every year to visit her family. I've just started fly fishing an last year I thought I'd give the salt a try. It didn't work out so well. I really need to practice double hauling and shooting line. That said the gentleman that owns AMI Outfitters on Anna Marie Island is very knowledgeable. He gave me some spots to try when we go down next week. He's also said if he can squeeze some time off he'd show me a round a bit. He also recommended a guide down around Sarasota or Venice area. He gave me his card but I will have to wait till I get home to find it. I've never used this guide before but he has. I'll check the AMI website to see if they have a link for the guide.

We are starting to spend our winter seasons in Southwest Florida as well. We are in the Bonita Springs area. I nice year for us this past winter. I was not able to give it as much time, but wanted to find out more about the same topic. I was leaning towards kayaking and fly fishing in the mangrove areas around Ft. Myers. I don't have any specific answers for you other than seek out a fly shop. I did find one about eight miles from my place, but did not go there to explore it any further. Keep us posted.

We’re on Longboat every couple of weeks. Look into Rick Gassert at CB’s Outfitters on Stickney point. He’s their fly guy. Check out their fishing reports on line. I have a Hobie Outback peddle yak that is the bomb! Always looking for a fishing bud.

The wife and I go down to the area north of there. Palmetto/Bradenton area every year to visit her family. I've just started fly fishing a last year I thought I'd give the salt a try. It didn't work out so well. I really need to practice double hauling and shooting line. That said the gentleman that owns AMI Outfitters on Anna Marie Island is very knowledgeable. He gave me some spots to try when we go down next week. He's also said if he can squeeze some time off he'd show me a round a bit. He also recommended a guide down around Sarasota or Venice area. He gave me his card but I will have to wait till I get home to find it. I've never used this guide before but he has. I'll check the AMI website to see if they have a link for the guide.
Honestly, you don’t need to cast far off the beach for snook. They are usually if the 1st trough off the beach. And I mean FIRST. When you walk into the surf and the water goes from your ankles to just below the knee- that is where they are.

Even with polarized glasses, they are not easy to see against the white sand, and it really takes my eyes a day or 2 to adjust to seeing them. Most of the time you’ll see their shadow first. I’ve never caught a snook on a fly by blind casting. I end up doing more walking than fishing when I fish for snook.

Only time you’ll need to double haul is when you’re trying to reach a school of Spanish mackerel or jacks. Make yourself a stripping basket from a dishpan no need to spend a lot of money on one.

I love fishing for snook off the beach. It’s fun to stalk them, trying to get into a position to drop fly in front of them and not scare them.

I’d like to catch a redfish on a fly down there sometime, but I’m gonna need a kayak or boat to do that I think. In 34 years of going to LBK I’ve only seen a redfish off the beach once.

We’re on Longboat every couple of weeks. Look into Rick Gassert at CB’s Outfitters on Stickney point. He’s their fly guy. Check out their fishing reports on line. I have a Hobie Outback peddle yak that is the bomb! Always looking for a fishing bud.
Do you live down there now Stoneman? I’m jealous!

I used to go to CB’s all the time when I was down there. Kinda thought their customer service had gone down in recent years. I found that the young guys at The Compound were more helpful, plus they have a great selection of tying materials as well.

I always bring my vise when we go know as it gets too damn hot for me on the beach so I’ll just go back to the condo, grab a beer and tie up some clousers and other patterns.

Only been once to the shop in AMI. I’ll have to try that one again. Although the traffic at Bradenton Beach now makes that a long trip from LBK.

Stoneman we'll be down for almost 2 weeks next week and the following week. PM me if you guys will be down. Wade fishing only for me as I have no kayak at this time.

Stoneman we'll be down for almost 2 weeks next week and the following week. PM me if you guys will be down. Wade fishing only for me as I have no kayak at this time.
Good luck! Post some snook pics!

Back