Southwestern PA - New to fly

rj32s

Hey, guys! I hope everyone is thawing out.

I'm fairly new to fly fishing and live right outside Pittsburgh. I have only fished a few spots the last year or so and am looking to branch out this season. I've seen that the following are fairly close to me, within an hour or so drive:

Bull Creek
Big Sewickly Creek
Deer Creek
Pine Creek

Has anyone had experience with these and could offer some advice? So far my fishing has been limited to Slippery Rock, Neshanock, and the Yough.

Thanks, guys!

the rock and neshanock are the 2 best of the list you have. Deer and Pine are soso but do offer some relief if they are closer to you. I have not foish the other 2.

try indian, laurel hill, loyalhanna also.

give cool spring creek a shot, it's a nice lil creek right outside of Mercer, PA and it isn't that tough to find and catch the fish. do well on caddis pupa patterns there. hope tht could help out a lil

Big Sewickley Creek is probably not worth your time. It gets pounded by the bait crowd and the stockies are gone pretty quick. Its pretty much your average marginal put and take stream. I grew up a few minutes from it.

The DHALO section of Pine isn't bad. That's where I learned the basics of fly fishing. I generally consider the Laurel Highlands streams better though.

rj32s wrote:
Hey, guys! I hope everyone is thawing out.

I'm fairly new to fly fishing and live right outside Pittsburgh. I have only fished a few spots the last year or so and am looking to branch out this season. I've seen that the following are fairly close to me, within an hour or so drive:

Bull Creek
Big Sewickly Creek
Deer Creek
Pine Creek

Has anyone had experience with these and could offer some advice? So far my fishing has been limited to Slippery Rock, Neshanock, and the Yough.

Thanks, guys!

Those four streams leave a lot to be desired fly fishing wise IMO.
I find it well worth the time to drive a little further from home to places that have nice hatches and rising fish

He will also, eventually, but for now, it seems that the local stocked waters may suit him in learning the basics of fly fishing.

The Laurel Highlands has some nice wild trout waters, but the fish are small and the hatches sparse. There are good stocked waters also, some with reasonable insect activity.

"Outside of Pittsburgh" can be in any direction. Your best streams will depend if you are on the southside, in the south hills, in the eastern suburbs, etc. A little more detail as to your location and major highway access would go a long way to getting advice about the closest quality waters.

I was late in offering help, but I am like dryflyguy in that I spend a lot of time driving to get to waters that are truly magnificent for a fly angler. It's all in a day, and occasionally a weekend.

Yeah, for instance, in the direction of Neshannock and the Rock, go a little further and you can be on Oil, and there are a myriad of wild trout streams around that region.

Personally, I think Venango, Forest, etc. counties are every bit the equal of the Laurel Highlands in terms of stocked or wild trout, and just as close or closer for many, if you live north of the city with easy access to 79. If you live south or on the east side, the Laurel Highlands are closer. Heck, if you're to the NE, say, Indiana area, then you've got some decent stocked water around there and a trip to the Allegheny Front ain't that far to the east for your wild trout. Even the LJR isn't too bad for a day trip.

SW side, well, you're just screwed 🙂.

Thanks, guys. I'm in the South Hills, about 20 minutes from the city. In the Canonsburg area.

Very close to 79.

I'm a little further north from you in Mt. Lebanon. I fish mostly on Fridays if you want to tag along sometime. I fish Pine a little but mostly head north an hour or so on 79.

Washington County has at least two special regulation waters. But for better quality, your best bet is the Laurel Highlands in my opinion.

South on I-79 to Washington, East on Rte 40 to the mountains. You may save time by taking I-70 East to the turnpike extension and heading South on Toll-43 to catch Rte 40 closer to Uniontown.

I have to second the Laurel Highlands suggestions. The Loyalhanna is close for some medium sized water, and there are plenty of small streams that hold fish throughout the area. For someone starting out, it's hard to beat that area. If you factor in the Yough when you want to fish bigger water, you have all the tools to learn how to fish most anywhere.

According to MapQuest, the Yough at Ohiopyle is roughly an hour and fifteen minutes from Canonsburg. I live in the Jefferson Boro/Pleasant Hills area and it takes me about the same amount of time to get to Ohiopyle. Also, it takes me about 50 minutes to get to Laurel Hill Creek at Kings Bridge and/or Barrons Bridge.

Montour Run is a nice stream to learn during the week and close to you. The bike trail gives easy access. Don't go opening day it is a zoo.

I may be going to Pine Creek tomorrow. Are there any particular flies I should use?

Back