Southwest PA

gray_ghost

gray_ghost

I moved to southwest PA about a year ago after fly fishing for years in northcentral PA . I am about 20 minutes south of Pittsburgh. I have heard of the Loyalhanna Creek and the Neshannock Creek but I am looking for fly fishing that isn't over an hour away. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The Gray Ghost

This time of year, you need to explore the Youghiogheny Tailrace and downstream areas.

Thanks Jack for the suggestion.

Yeah you were spoiled. The Laurel highlands, Fayette, Somerset counties are your best bet. The PAFB site maps would really tell the story.

Thanks. You’re right. Probably had 10+ streams to fish within an hour’s drive in NC PA.

What Jack said. I lived in Da' Burgh for 15 years. No man's land for trout, for the most part. Laurel Ridge is where it gets good.

Now for other species... I didn't get into musky until I moved back to central PA. Wish I had been into musky fishing when I lived in pgh.

I’ve lived in Western Pa most of my life. I’ve lived in the city of Pittsburgh for the last forty years. There are three DHALO projects close to the city. There is Pine Creek in the North Hills which I have fished many times. It has limited holes but I’ve caught fish. Another is Deer Creek north of Harmarville off of PA 910. Been fishing there for years also. Again some nice holes. You have to walk both these streams to find fish. The third is Bull Creek in the Tarentum area. I haven’t fished that but have heard it’s like fishing in a sewer(?). That’s about it locally. There are put and take streams like Montour Run, Little Chartiers Creek/Linden Run and a few more ( consult your PA regulation book). There is a DHALO at Dutch Fork Creek in Washington County close to the WVA border. I’ve had some good days there. The best quality fly fishing streams close to Pittsburgh are a FFO project on Slippery Rock Creek and the Neshannock DHALO in Volant. I have fished both of these for over thirty years. They are both about a hour drive north of the city. There is the Loyalhanna DHALO in Ligonier which can be hit or miss and Laurel Hill Creek in Laurel Hill State Park. I’m in my seventies now so don’t get out as much as I used to. For quality fly fishing, my friend and I make the long trips to Spring Creek, Spruce Creek, Little J and Yellow Creek in Bedford County. Confluence is about a ninety minute to two hour drive from my home on the Pittsburgh/ Dormont/ Greentree border. Sorry, but you’ll have to drive.

Bruno was catching Gar on a fly near the 30th st bridge I believe.

Is it just me or does JackM look like Red Green?

I lived in Washington co for 25 years and moved to Southcentral Pa so I could do some quality trout fishing. A few more creeks to consider would be Dunbar creek near Uniontown and Pike run. Anut Claras fork had some wild fish in it 30 years ago. It has been a few years since I fished them so my info may not be of any help. What town do you live in?

Last edited:
"If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy" - Red Green

I moved to southwest PA about a year ago after fly fishing for years in northcentral PA . I am about 20 minutes south of Pittsburgh. I have heard of the Loyalhanna Creek and the Neshannock Creek but I am looking for fly fishing that isn't over an hour away. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The Gray Ghost
I’ve lived in Greene Co all of my life so I feel your pain. I usually suck it up and make the drive East or south to WV. Yough, Laurel Hill, Meadow, Neshannock are all great choices.

You don't need trout to go fly fishing. I've been having much more fun with other species the last 2 summers and a lot closer to home than the Laurel highlands or central PA.

That is true. Been enjoying panfish and starting to get into smallies. Grew up fishing 10 mile for smallies with crayfish and hellgramites.

Back