Southwest PA this weekend

Six-Gun

Six-Gun

I have my PA fishing license already, but have been sorrowfully neglectful of getting back to my home state to fish. So, I want to hit a new corner of the state that I have not fished and that is a reasonable drive (4 hours) for a 1-day romp out near the Pittsburgh metro area. Any suggestions on where I can go and expect at least reasonably peaceful wade fishing?

The biggest info I lack are 1) where the weekend pressure can become un-fun, and 2) oddball regulations or restricted access areas that could get me in trouble. Any help you can give is appreciated.

The Yough is hard to beat, and there is some fairly easy wading in some areas around the town of Confluence. Or if you like fishing smaller freestoners, then I would suggest fishing around the town of Ligonier. Linn Run is a fine Brookie stream, however it's also stocked with Brookies, some other good Class As in that area.
Other than the Yough, many of the larger streams in SWPA are marginal until you start getting out toward Bedford Cty.
Good Luck 6

Thank you kindly for the info. It sounds like a great area to try, in general. I was going to fish further into the state, but I realized that I have repeatedly passed over the SW corner in favor of other places in PA and never really gave it a shot. Time to change that.

The Laurel Highlands holds a ton of streams. From stocked streams the size of the "Yock" to small mountain freestones streams full of gemmies, and everything in between.

What kind of experience were you looking for?

I LOVE small backwoods streams like you described. That's exactly what I was chasing last week in Wyoming. However, if there's a lot to do and a decent chance of several good experiences in close proximity, I'm not averse to packing up at the half-day point and trying a larger stream.

Pretty much every stream coming off the Laurel Ridge or Chesnut Ridge holds some wild or native fish, same goes for the headwaters of most stock streams as well

Been watching the US Open and the radar. Streams out that way would almost have to be blown out. Any locals confirm.

The small brook trout streams and headwaters will be ideal. Low lying stretch and large drainages will be blown. I have no personal knowledge.

Yough - dry dropper - Slate Drake Dry, Dun Variant or Adams with bead head hares ear on the dropper.

Fish the dark green riffles, upstream cas

I live 15 minutes from Oakmont and that rain we had yesterday was pretty intense,

But most of the small to medium size streams here in northern Westmoreland/eastern Allegheny Co arent too bad. It went up fast and went back down fast. Still off color though, but Im sure by tomorrow morning everything should be back to almost normal.

Thanks for the reports and info, fellas. I'll have a backup plan in place incase things are not good. The overall locations and water type sound right up my alley. I'm just hoping things start clearing up by tomorrow AM. This is a one-day event.

Back