Southern Utah

1fish

1fish

Took a trip last week, before my Utah license expires at the end of the month. It was sort of a combination, camping, checking out some streams, sightseeing, and a little fishing trip. The weather wasn’t the best, mostly cold, with off and on rain or drizzle. Most of the rivers at lower elevation were sort of muddied up, so I mainly fished in the upper parts of the watersheds.
Never put waders on the whole trip, and only used an 8ft 3 weight. Generally I’d just fish an hour or two at a time, mostly because of the weather and the need to find a campsite for the night. I made a loop through the southwest part of the state, so I was pretty much on the move every day.

1st stop was the Beaver river, caught a couple of small, but thick browns.
beaver%20r.jpg

IMGP037beaverfish.jpg

beaverr2.jpg

Camped at Otter Creek SP the 2nd night and checked out a couple of spots. The Sevier river below Piute Reservoir, seemed high and was chalky colored. Lots of birds working, but I didn't fish it. Checked out the East fork of the Sevier, but it was pretty muddied up. Fished a small brushy stream near the campground, didn't catch anything.
Next day I headed over to the Freemont River, above Loa. Camped at a Reservoir that I can't remember the name of. The river was a nice mountain meadow and brush type stream. Caught a few nymphing, but did better with a 18 Adams. Almost stayed another day here, but I needed to move on.

zeds.jpg

freemont%20fish.jpg

Spent the morning at Capitol Reef, on the only sunny day of the trip.
capitol%20reef1.jpg

Then drove on to Bryce and camped at Red Rock Canyon for two nights. Checked out Bryce in the morning. Pretty cold and windy.

bryce1.jpg

Fished the East Fork of Sevier in the afternoon. Nice mountain stream. Nymphed a few rainbows.

esevier.jpg

IMGeserier%20fish.jpg

eserier%20view.jpg

Here's camp Saturday morning.

camp%20snow.jpg

IMGcooler.jpg

Drove through Zion Saturday morning, but didn't stop. Kind of a zoo.

I've fished that area quite a bit. Are you from Utah? There are a handful of streams in that area I enjoy fishing (you named a couple of them). Not much runoff this year from what I have heard.

That whole area fishes awesome in the late summer. Very opportunistic trout willing to eat big dry flies. Plenty of large fish around also (even in small creeks).

Congrats on making the best of a tough trip. The waters you named are some of my old regulars. I moved from the area last year but still have a few months left on my annual license. I wanted to hit the East Fork of the Sevier, but it sounds like the April/May rains are still making life tough around this time. Late summer definitely is a real treat if you can get back there after they button the dam back up.

moon1284 wrote:
I've fished that area quite a bit. Are you from Utah? There are a handful of streams in that area I enjoy fishing (you named a couple of them). Not much runoff this year from what I have heard.

That whole area fishes awesome in the late summer. Very opportunistic trout willing to eat big dry flies. Plenty of large fish around also (even in small creeks).

No, not from Utah. Originally from the Pittsburgh area, but have been living in Southern California since 86. I have been driving up I-15 pretty frequently, headed to other places and always wanted to check this area out. Not real familiar with the area, but will probably spend more time there in the near future.

Originally from Marysvale which is just north of the Piute reservoir. My family was one of the founders of the town back in the 1800s. Glad to hear you had a good trip.

Back