South Carolina January

gfoledc

gfoledc

My wife and and I will be in South Carolina in January Kiawah Island area would like to try to catch a redfish any info would be apriciated. Flies or any thing that would help

Get a guide for at least one day-
if you haven't done much saltwater inshore fishing the big thing is knowing where to find them at different times of year.
Up there in january they will probably be concentrated in schools in deeper water- and not spread out so it can be feast or famine.

What Pete said. The lower Atlantic states' coasts are vast and generally under-rated in the fly fishing world. In SC in winter you can still find some reds and specks in shallow water but a guide is almost a necessity since the region consists of vast areas of spartina grass flats, inlets, river mouths, and bays and the fish move a great deal seasonally. There are some angler's guides that cover this area - I like Saltwater Angler's Guide to the Southeast by Newman. With respect to flies, I'd stock up on Clousers in the 2-4" range in various colors (you can't go wrong with green over white, hot pink, and all black). Most importantly, have some weedless crab flies. The shape and color isn't all that important but they need a good weed guard. Good luck with your trip.

there's an article on this in American Angler this month.

i think i might make a road trip down there next winter ;-)

We are down here right now and Pets advise was right on. Had a guide the second day here and had a great trip landed 9 redfish in 3 houres. On my own I have not found any. We are on Kiawah Island its not tbe best place to fish on your own. Going to try around Isle of Palm looks e like better area to fish with out a guide. Two of my grandsons are coming the end of the month will try Charleston guide when they get here. 70 degrees and sunny today.

curious who you went out with on the guided trip. My parents just moved to Hilton Head.

gfoledc wrote:
We are down here right now and Pets advise was right on. Had a guide the second day here and had a great trip landed 9 redfish in 3 houres. On my own I have not found any. We are on Kiawah Island its not tbe best place to fish on your own. Going to try around Isle of Palm looks e like better area to fish with out a guide. Two of my grandsons are coming the end of the month will try Charleston guide when they get here. 70 degrees and sunny today.

Hope you're having fun!

Back