South Bend Bamboo rod.

L

Lkyboots

A few years ago I bought a old South Bend Bamboo rod that was never used. It was in a general store that closed when the owner died and i bought it off the owner daughter and a bunch of very old flies.

It's a 9 foot rod with the only number on it is 59. It has a comfort fit cork handle with a place for your thumb. Anyone know anything about this rod and when it was made. I'm going to fish it this year.

Check out "Classic Fly Rod Forum" site. I just did a quick google on South Bend #59 and it looks like there are some threads that discuss it. http://classicflyrodforum.com/

Thanks, looks like it was made in 1949 and was a Bass and Steelhead rod. You don't get a chance to use a new rod that's 70 years old very often.

The two digit number was south bend was the stiffest and fast of their rod (Bass Action). I believe they started making the 59 around 1936. You can pinpoint the date a little better depending on the wrap color and if it has a Tool hardened steel, Stainless Steel, or Garnix stripper guide? Joe E

"59" indicates a bass rod -- trout rods had 3 digits. Expect it to be about a 7 weight.

congratulations!!!

that rod will have a lot of punch.

would be great for steel,salmon ,light salt and bass.

BUT,it will be fine for trout too.

can prob handle 6-8w just fine.

if this is your first cane rod: careful,they're addictive.

have you cast it yet?

Fish it - here is a pic of mine.

Attachments

• southbend.jpg
    southbend.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 3
I haven't used it yet. I have a Orvis Boo rod but it's a. 7 1/2 footer. I have a few reels with 6 weight line so I'll give them a try.

Back