Sources for tying materials

N

nomad_archer

Hi Everyone - about a week ago I picked up an inexpensive tying kit to see if tying was something that was for me. Well I have really been enjoying tying and the learning process. One major thing I have found is a lack of fly shops to get materials.

So with that in mind can anyone recommend some online sources for tying materials? Right now I am tying nymphs, soft hackles and woolly buggers and eventually some zonkers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
nomad

For Local I go with competitive Angler

http://competitiveangler.com/

After that I go with bearsden

http://www.bearsden.com/

one must remember there is no "mother"of all fly shops

i use jstockard and bears den primarily but i have ordered supplies from the following shops in the list

SHOP%20LIST_zps8x1sf7em.jpg

I get most of my tying materials from TCO seeing as how they're 10 minutes away. They have a good online store too along with Flyfishers Paradise, Jsstockard, feathercraft, and performance flies.

nfrechet covered it pretty well.
I prefer blue ribbon flies for hair over the others but the other locations are very good as well.

TCO and Blue Quill Anglers. Online of course.

Try #Advanced Search Button

Thanks guys. Its time to go shopping. I will be out in Boiling Springs this weekend so I will be stopping at TCO.

I really try to get most of my material from small fly shops. Ever since my parents had to close up their sporting goods store years ago because of the emergence of Wal Mart and K mart and other chain stores I go out of my way to shop at local small shops. But on those occasions when I have to order online I usually get from The Fly Shack , J Stockard or Hook and Hackle.

Online I use J Stockard most. I do try to buy local but these days that comes down to FFP in State College and Evening Hatch in the Poconoes.

TCO in Reading is probably best in your area.

I hit the TCO out in Boiling springs this weekend and picked up a bunch of stuff. I have dinner every few months with a college buddy that lives a few minutes from Boiling Springs so I think each trip will require a visit to the TCO.

my favorite of mail order is feathercraft,but i also use dette and jim slattery.

in person i like the sporting gentleman. i try to hit fly shops on my travels.

oh,and ebay. lots an lots of ebay.

For bird skins, Blue Ribbon Flies hands down.

Back