Some Flies for the Salt Jams

F

Fishidiot

Most of my surf fly fishing is with Clouser Minnows or some variation. Peanut Bunker are rather deep bodied and flat sided but other prey species - spearing, sand eels, and mullet - are more elongated. Anyway, if you're tying for the salt jam, I'd recommend Clousers - particularly in black, green over white, and yellow. I do like a mono weed guard on some since there are some rocky areas as well as occasional seaweed in the water.

Attachments

• Salt Jam.jpg
    Salt Jam.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 21
i like the crystal chenille bodies. i've never made note of that before, and its simple and looks effective.

third down, right column: what is the body made from?

gfen wrote:
third down, right column: what is the body made from?

The yellow Clouser on the right is tied mainly with a synthetic mix of yellow fibers. It's called "Steve Farrar's Flash Blend." I usually buy a few packs of this stuff when I visit Betty and Nicks' tackle shop at the shore. I'm not sure what the brown overwing is made of but it's also synthetic and available at Yellow Breeches Outfitters. Weed guard is 50lb mono.

I use SF Flash Blend not only on saltwater flies, but also on freshwater streamers. The stuff has a translucency that is hard to beat.
It makes a great trailing shuck, too. Better than antron in my opinion.
International Angler has a large selection of colors

I bought some from one of the Orvis corp shops, but I'm still sort of ambivilent on it. Doesn't seem as lifelike and flashy as I expected in the hand.

Looks pretty good in the water, though. I thought about using some of the white stuff for some wets I churned out this afternoon, but ended up just using antron and fur.

Gary - try it with just a few strands and I mean sparse. You may like it more.

I have realized I have no creativity when it comes to tying. I mimic patterns already established. I'll post my ties later.

mkoloch wrote:
I have realized I have no creativity when it comes to tying. I mimic patterns already established. I'll post my ties later.

There's no originality left, chances are its all been done in some fashion already. Streamers are a novel way to just lash nonsense to a hook til it looks appealing to you, though.

Just pick nonsense you like.

GC: I haven't really had much reason or urge to tie this year. Next time I sit down and bang out some bucktail or featherwings,I'll have to do a few with the SLF (or whatever it is) I bought as well. Its one of those things I want to like, but haven't given much of a chance to at this rate.

I have a question regarding the sand eels and in particular surf candy. Since the Tuff flex & UV light set up is like $100, what are guys using as alternative. I typically use 5-min epoxy (2-part), which is a PIA. I've also tried 30-min epoxy, still PIA.

What is everyone else using? Can't bring myself to fork over the big bucks since I don't tie that many sand eels. Maybe I just answered my own question.

http://www.clearcuregoo.com/

I don't use UV or any epoxies anymore...I use something alot cheaper and just as good..

I use Aleene's Fabric Fusion also. It is extremely cheap compared to the other epoxies and u.v. resins. You can find it at craft stores and Wally world.

It holds up just as well if not better than other U.V. cures and epoxies. Its water based so its a snap to clean up or to thin or thicken. It dries completely clear and wont yellow or milk.

It takes about 20-30mins to dry. Its extremely durable and it is not rock hard but damn close. So it does have good flex to it.

If your not in need of the fly immediately then this stuff is KING. IMO

P8210160.jpg

That's some good stuff! Save some cash and ditch that over priced UV stuff 100%.

Just wanted to say" Thank You" Johnny Utah as well !!!
Great blog post & research test you did on them UV cures.

Thank you very much.

You know stagger you can post comments on my blog.

JohnnyUtah wrote:
Thank you very much.

You know stagger you can post comments on my blog.

Don't i need some blogger account? Maybe I'll look into getting one.

Back