Soft hackle / spider video

T

tctrout

I wanted to share a recent video I made for a pattern called the Hot Spot Spider. The spider is a classic pattern (most Americans refer to them as soft hackles), and this one adds a modern material, Glo-Brite floss, for a hot spot behind the hackle. I also show the procedure for preparing a feather for a soft hackle fly. Enjoy!

TC

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clpy5xEaof4[/youtube]

Well Done. Thanks for sharing.

Very nice. I will have to tie some of them. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. A lot of great tips.

Great tutorial I love soft hackles they have surprised me a bunch of times. Its also great to do something in tradition. How does one determine the size of feather to use for the corresponding hook size?

Great question, Nick, and depending on who you ask, there can be many answers. As per European tradition, the ends of the hackle fibers should just extend pass the bend of the hook. In America, the fibers tend to be tied a bit shorter. Either way, if you're somewhere between the two, you'll be all right!

TC

I tie and fish a lot of soft hackles. I never measure the soft hackle, but just have a gut feeling for what works. When I can't find fish, a soft hackle gets me back on the horse every time.

I like using white floss as my hot spot, and curing it with a UV glue. I also use white thread as my ribbing and it drives fish mad. Almost same exact fly, I use grouse feathers for my soft hackles as well.

Back