soft hackle coffin fly

C

cranefly

Coming to the area may 16th, and was toying around with a soft hackle coffin. Please let me know your thoughts. Recipe:
hook-daiichi 1750 4xl streamer sz 6
thread- white
tail- moose mane
body-cream midge cactus chenille
thorax-black/grey dub
hackle-smaller grizzly, then larger black
bead-tung 1/8 black.
Never made it to fish the drakes, this year looks possible, so I thought I would play around. thanks for the input.
David

Attachments

• soft coffin2.jpg
    soft coffin2.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 12
looks good to me cranefly.

I like it. I wonder how a grizzly died green would look?

I usually think of a soft hackle fly as an emerger. I think I'd add a post to help it be more visible.

few questions ?
1---why a soft hackle coffin ? they are a spinner and float in the surface
2---studiomule, how will the post work when it is made to sink deep with a tungsten bead ? (goes back to ?? # 1)

Sandfly
I had read somewhere about sulphur spinner soft hackles working well at times, and thought that with all of the talk about the drakes being such a difficult hatch to fish, maybe something different might work. I think I am leaving the bead off the rest of the flies to keep them up higher in the water column.
D

I hadn't noticed the bead. I was thinking of it being fished low in the film, not totally sunk. I agree that it doesn't make much sense to fish a spinner deep.

Without the bead perhaps a partialy sunken spinner fished at the bottom of riffles or pocket water might prove effective?

Back