Sof Hair for tails

T

tracker12

I am looking at tying some very small jigs and want to use hair for the tails. What material will give me the softest feel.

tracker12 wrote:
I am looking at tying some very small jigs and want to use hair for the tails. What material will give me the softest feel.

Hair is usually rather stiff, especially when using short hair on a small fly. Give marabou a try. I moves well in the water and would add motion to your fly.

how about hen hackle fibers?

as afishinado suggested marabou would be nice!

Rabbit hair, just do it. You won't be sorry. I have been on a rabbit hair kick lately and the fish are loving it.

Second choice would be arctic fox hair. For some reason I've been doing great without marabou.

+1 on the rabbit

I do marabou but wanted some hair. Bought a calf tail today and I think that will be the ticket. These are for Crappie jigs. That being said I am hoping to pick up some rabbit at the Fly Tying Show in Lancaster this weekend. Any particulars on what kind of rabbit.

Polafibre is good stuff for what you want to do.

craft fur works well on crappie jigs

Attachments

• 4-28-2011 asaph 062.jpg
    4-28-2011 asaph 062.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 4-29-2011 025.jpg
    4-29-2011 025.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 4
  • crapy jigs.jpg
    crapy jigs.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 2
Any rabbit hair on the pelt will do. Longer hair may be better for your situation.

Look for the rabbit strip grab bags they are about 8 bucks and come with about a dozen colors.

Craft hair jigs look good I'll have to pick some of that up. Tying jigs is as additicting as tying flys. Glad I have fishing buddies since they are stacking up.

I tie mine to use on the fly rod, 1/80 oz. in weight..

Recently picked up some 1/80 and 1/100 jigs to tie. Can't wait fir the Bluegills to get on the beds.

Tie some early season trout flies on them, better than bead heads..

Fox Tail

marabou or artic fox

Back