socks

rudeone

rudeone

Has anyone tried using Alpaca heavyweight socks for fishing steelhead? They are supposed to be warmer and more breathable than wool? Don't want to find out the hard way they are not.

They are warm, but sooooo expensive.

Alpaca socks are fantastic. Pricey? Maybe. But worth every penny. You won't be sorry.

I like alpacas!

Attachments

• DSCN1542 (2) (150x113).jpg
    DSCN1542 (2) (150x113).jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 2
Best winter socks I've tried. Pricey yes, but worth every penny compared to cold toes.

I consider warm high quality socks a safety item and worth extra money. It's about more than comfort IMO. Cold numb feet cause you to lose contact with the substrate and feel clumsy, possibly leading to wading errors. Just another way to think about it.
I never tried them, but I'm getting some before December comes. Thanks for the tip

What brand is good?

And has anyone worn them enough to see how well they wear?

I have had a lot of wool socks quickly wear through at the heel, even though the rest of the sock is still good. You'd think they could find a way to reinforce the heel, to prevent that.

I have a pair of fleece socks that I wear during cold weather, I've used them in Maine during the winter and that's what guy use up there. You don't need to layer them and they are as warm as you'll need. Orvis makes them and they are very reasonable.
I just checked, Orvis no longer has em. Cabelas does though.
socks

Dear rudeone,

Polypropolene wicking socks and wool work just fine for me. The poly gets the moisture from sweat off your feet and the wool will still insulate when wet.

The more important thing is that you have enough room in your waders and wading shoes to wear multiple layers of socks and still allow your toes to wiggle and your feet to "breath."

Any sock regardless of the material it is made from looses it's insulating value/ability when it is compressed. Insulation is based on keeping air warm in space or air gaps in the material. If you eliminate the space you eliminate the potential to insulate.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Wearing liner socks is crucial to helping keep your toes warm in cold water. Also having your wading shoes oversized so your feet aren't immobile, as previously stated.

recently went on overnight backpacking/brookie fishing trip. Once settled in at camp I mentioned my feet were cold. My father asked about my socks. I had the wicking socks, then regular cotton socks, then wool socks on.

He told me my problem was the cotton in the middle. That night in the tent, I had the same sock set on (in my sleeping back). My feet were cold and keeping me awake.

I took off my wool socks, removed my cotton socks, put my wool socks back on. Literally, within 2 minutes my feet were warm.

Cotton is the enemy whenever layering your clothes.

I put an order in for a pair of these, so I will give a report once I have worn them a few times.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/expedition-weight-merino-wool-hiking-mid-socks?p=50130-0-199

cotton is rotten! worst thing ever for feet, traps and holds moisture. fleece, wool, synthetics, anything other than cotton!

Like I said if you have the fleece socks you don't ned anything else.

I don't like Alpacas one spit at me once at Tobias , 100% wool is the bees knees.

osprey wrote:
I don't like Alpacas one spit at me once at Tobias , 100% wool is the bees knees.

Dear Osprey,

Good one, I haven't heard Lake Tobias Animal Park mentioned in ages, way to go!

I agree with you on the wool. It works just fine for sheep, there's no reason to think it won't work just fine for people too.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back