so this happen today

Kyle

Kyle

fishing for smallmouths and caught this guy. thought i had a jumbo smallmouth on the other end. first time for me catching channel cat on a fly.
KIMG1910

Was fishing out of my kayak recently and hooked what felt like a 5 lb bass. After a tremendous fight I was surprised to see about a 3 lb. Bullhead. Most guys fish for channel cats; first Bullhead I've caught there.

Dear Kyle,

Nice bycatch!

Years ago, when I lived in upstate NY I used to stop and fish the Susquehanna River behind the Owego NY rest stop on Route 17/I-86. While working I often stopped to flip a few casts. There used to be a hole in the fence where you could scramble down the bank to the river. It's been over 20 years, so I don't even know if the rest stop is still there. If it is still there, I'm sure some other fisherman has cut a hole in the fence! ;)

Anyway, it was early May just after walleye season had opened. The river was low for that time of year, so I figured why not give it a try? Working from the bank I tossed a Chartreuse and Yellow Clouser out as far as I could and stripped it about two strips when it stopped dead. I set the hook and the fish dove for the bottom and bulldogged. I was sure I had a 12 pound plus walleye on, but when I got the fish in, I was surprised. It was a channel cat that was easily 27 inches long and probably 7 or 8 pounds.

The funny thing is, I often targeted channel cats in the Susquehanna up there, but probably 95% of the ones I caught were accidental catches on Clousers, or Murray's Strymphs, or even Rapalas. I'd get a few soaking chicken livers or frozen shrimp, but all the better ones struck artificial baits!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

this one put up such a good fight on a 6 weight, thought for sure it was gonna be a new personal best smallmouth for me. i may have to bust out my ultra light rod and toss some chicken livers at dusk! i do love catfish but i let this one swim free

when the big may flies are hatching in mid July you can catch them at night on poppers when they are sucking all the dead flies off the surface. A big susky channel cat will pull you around in a kayak just like stripers in the salt!

Back