so cortland comp nymph line...

C

chrism80

Read a little about it, and thinking of trying it out seeing as Czech nymphing has caught my eye. anyone play with any yet? does it offer any great advantage? Thanks

No experience with it, but the fly line is almost totally unimportant in short line presentations.

Sounds like a gimmick to me.

agree with jayL
There is only a short amount of line out with those techniques - what they "need" to sell is a comp nymph LEADER.

Very valid point . they do offer a pre tied leader from Rio i think. but they aren't that tough to tie. At least the ones i have tried seemed to work. from what i was able to gather is its suppose to be fairly thin and more sensitive with a long front taper. also suppose to have a braided core to make it supple . lol i think i may just have cabin fever with being grounded from a broken ankle so i look at fishing stuff to much online.

i have heard very good things about the new nymph line. Heavy front taper (weight forward ) and even double taper fly lines that have a certain amount of weight built into the front of the line will cause a belly in the leader when you are long line nymphing and even short line nymphing. Its def. not a gimmick.

Bummer about the ankle - make sure you do any PT they suggest so you're not grounded for prime fishin time.

The idea about the line makes sense in that it is lighter, more supple. This year I'm gonna try a long tippet of fluoro - I haev a spool of Berkley Vanish fluoro 4# test that I'll try about a 5'-6' tippet with much lighter leader section (maybe 8#) and see how that works. With weighted nymphs should be able to turn over for a lob cast.
I recall Humphreys used to use all flat mono setup with no fly line at all and then FFP carried a nymph line that I think was a level running line around a 3 wt - or something like that- specifically for nymphing.

If you use the new line let us know how it works.

a 12 dollar level line might do the same thing.

I'm not a big nympher
But have used this line a few times back in the spring and though the summer

I like it... Lives up to all other recomedations

I should be mobile in time for the stockings on the neshanock. at least that's what im hoping . the straight leader for nymphing is the way to go to get a even sink rate and a good drift. think i just might have to give this line a try. lol gotta itch the fishing bug some how might as well get some new gear to try.

Any recommendations for a cheap level nymphing line? I'm getting the cabelas CZN 11ft 4wt soon and think a level line might be my best bet for strictly nymphing.

You can probably still find a level line but I would use just a plain old double taper. Thats just me though.

Edit: I don't know anything about euro style nymphing Czech or otherwise. Im assuming its high stick, long rod, heavy fly, dredge and lift. Based on my assumption I would just use a DT.

You can certainly get away with a regular fly line. up til this point i have been using the mastery textured gpx from sa . which is certainly not the first choice preferred for this method but it worked. from what i have read the cortland line is much thinner, long thin front taper, with braided core. thus suppose to provide a much more sensitive, supple line that won't make the leader drift with a belly like a heavier normal line would. now i can't say the line does all this as I've yet to receive it and fish it , but that's what i ve read. as far as a level line you might have good luck with what they use for the chuck and duck method in new York. which is a running line. but yet just guesses from me thus far.

turkey wrote:
You can probably still find a level line but I would use just a plain old double taper. Thats just me though.

Edit: I don't know anything about euro style nymphing Czech or otherwise. Im assuming its high stick, long rod, heavy fly, dredge and lift. Based on my assumption I would just use a DT.

yup

turkey wrote:

Thanks. I'm gonna look at different types and brands when I go get the rod. I'm hoping next weekend.

Ive been fishing a prototype for almost a year. Not a gimmick. Best nymphing line ive ever fished. It will even toss a dry in a pinch decently well.

Back