So a question for the rod builders...

D

DJBerg

After breaking my first pole, a scientific anglers 8wtat the tip section(4piece). I barrowed my buddies st croix avid 8wt. Clipped that with a clouser and that pole(2piece), splintered 2 casts later...

Life goes on I warranty the st croix and hold on to the broken poles.

Today I get the idea to try to make those broken parts into one...

So I cut the st croix, at the splintered part w my chop saw and was successful, then proceeded to cut until I could fit it nicely over the secton of the scientific anglers third section from the butt of the rod...

Well with a nice fit, I ended up right at the base of a stripper guide. So I'm going to epoxy the base of the st croix and go with it. My question is do I leave the guide loop or cut it off and just leave the wrapping, for stength?

Any input would be greatly apreshiated.

Thanks DJ

In order to provide strength, you'll need to wrap the female side at least 1 inch up from the end. You can put the stripper guide near the joint, but it would be optimum if it was past where the other piece extends into it. If you can't do that, at least keep it past the 1" wrap - maybe even make the wrap a bit further.

Do not flex the blank with the pieces connected until you do the wrap or you will risk splitting it.

You should plug the male end with epoxy to keep it from splitting as well.

Others may disagree, this is JMO based on making quite a few rods, graphite, glass & cane. So, FWIW.

So I should cut the guide out? Then re wrap it? So the guide wrapping, given its only a half inch. Is not enough? I was sort of hoping that would be enough. It was sheer luck that to fit the tip of the st croix on the othe pole's factory male part and have it fit to the same spot as the old tip section, nice and snug with the cut on the st croix landing literally 1mm away from the start of the guide wrapping.

That's why I was wondering if I could just cut the guide off and leave the wrapping for structural strength?

Oh and thinking it was gonna be good to go, I went and hooked it to a 30" carp and the pole had no problems what so ever! Pretty happy about that along with the flex of the pole being uniform through the curve with the carp on it.

So far I'm really happy with it, and it now has its own joke of it being a $40 pole with a $300 tip! Lol

That's why I was wondering if I could just cut the guide off and leave the wrapping for structural strength?

I guess you could give it a try that way, not much too to lose. If you're just going to remove the guide and leave the 1/2 inch portion of the wrap that's left, I'd overcoat the edge of the wrap with a bit of epoxy so it doesn't begin to flake or unravel.

After some thought, I'm actually thinking I'm going to leave that guide on the connecting spot. My thought is it will put a bit more load on the factory male part of the scientific anglers and hopefully take some of the stress out of the first section of the female end of the st croix.

Or am I just nuts?

Back